1.8tsi fr tech

Geordie2001

Sep 19, 2013
Hi,

Back after a few years off this.

Question for people who own the 1.8 fr tech.

Had a few Leon fr’s this being my 3rd and the previous one was a fr 184 diesel.

Is it me or does this 1.8tsi have no poke? I’m actually debating taking it to a seat garage to have a look at it. It seems slower than my old 184 diesel.

Wouldn’t mind other people’s thoughts on theirs.

Geordie2001

Sep 19, 2013
Oh and under a year old.

I was expecting to feel the turbo kick in. I can see people have remapped theirs is that due to the poor performance?

Online reviews give it a decent score.

Oldbutswift

Mar 23, 2016
Without knowing the figures I would think your old diesel had a lot more torque than your current petrol,therein may lie the problem.

If so,you obviously need to get the rev counter further round when accelerating,although,as you say,it is still a turbo so you should still have some punch from 2000 revs on.

Reactions: Jazzjames

ajg74

Dec 9, 2016
Manchester
You get a relatively short lived big shove of power in a diesel compared to a gentler lo get lived one in a turbo petrol, that will make it seem a lot less frantic, plus the 1.8tsi is VERY smooth and pretty quiet as well, it will just be that you're used to how a diesel behaves, the 1.8tsi and 184 diesel and pretty similar when you look at their performance figures.

Geordie2001

Sep 19, 2013
The other issue which may be clouding my judgement is i've gone from a gti pp dsg.

Still just seem no poke. I thought about the torque in the diesel which is right but this just doesn't seem relatively quick. 0-60 is it 7.3 or something.

either of you got one? Presuming you have cupra's?

Mr Mustard

Jan 24, 2015
South East
I've timed our standard 1.8 tsi dsg at 6.66s from 0-60, using a Race logic Performance Box.
This compares to 6.45s for my old Mk.6 Golf GTI.
Without launch control of course.

Geordie2001

Sep 19, 2013
I've timed our standard 1.8 tsi dsg at 6.66s from 0-60, using a Race logic Performance Box.
This compares to 6.45s for my old Mk.6 Golf GTI.
Without launch control of course.
Suppose the DSG is going to make a big difference.

I'm wondering if i've been sold a pup lol

I'll have to take it out again.

Jazzjames

Sep 13, 2018
Germany
1.8 tsi owner here. My mum's got a GTD so I know what the diesel 184 feels like, as they're essentially the same car.

The way the throttle is mapped on the 1.8 tsi is relatively long. You have to give it a lot of gas, but when you do it will deliver. My mum’s GTD kinda gives it all up front at the start of the pedal travel. This gives the impression of lots of grunt (which there is), but there’s not a lot past that point. Maybe with Carista / OBD11 you can change the throttle pedal settings? Not sure about that one, sorry.

So, why does the 1.8 tsi feel comparatively slow to you?

The 184 tdi does have significantly more torque, 380 Nm to the 1.8 tsi's 250 Nm. However, you need to look at where this torque is delivered.

The diesel car dishes out it's 380 NM from 1750-3000 RPM. This means you have 93 HP at 1750 RPM and 160 HP at 3000 RPM.

The Petrol car has 250 NM from 1250-5000 RPM. This means you have only 61 HP at 1750 RPM, 105 HP at 3000 RPM, but 175 HP at 5000 RPM, where the petrol power takes over and gives you its full power until 6200 rpm.

That's a decent rev band to work with on the petrol car. With the diesel, you only have max power from 3500-4000 RPM.

In summary, the diesel feels faster down low in the revs because it has about 50% power from 1750-3000 RPM. It is faster down low. However, the petrol comes on song later in the revs, which is when the diesel will have run out of puff and need another gear. The longer you can stay in a lower gear, the more wheel horsepower you'll have due to being in the lower gear.

My advice, use more of the rev range. I feel the car has pretty nippy performance, but you have to wind it out to get it. I like that, but I guess it's not for everyone.

I hope this at least helps you understand why the car feels the way it does. If you already knew this, sorry!

Last edited:

ajg74

Dec 9, 2016
Manchester
I have a 1.8tsi DSG, it replaced a (remapped) Abarth 500, even though my Leon is as fast as it, it never really feels it until I look at the speedo!! It's going to feel slower compared to a Golf GTi PP cos it has about 60 less HP. I also have an i3 which is faster 0-40 than my Leon but a bit slower to 60, due to the way it delivers it's power (instant and uninterrupted torque) it feels a lot faster than the Leon well past 60 but it isn't, just the perception of it.

Reactions: Geordie2001

Geordie2001

Sep 19, 2013
1.8 tsi owner here. Any my mum's got a GTD so I know what the diesel 184 feels like, as they're essentially the same car.

The way the throttle is mapped on the 1.8 tsi is relatively long. You have to give it a lot of gas, but when you do it will deliver. My mum’s GTD kinda gives it all up front at the start of the pedal travel. This gives the impression of lots of grunt (which there is), but there’s not a lot past that point. Maybe with Carista / OBD11 you can change the throttle pedal settings? Not sure about that one, sorry.

So, why does the 1.8 tsi feel comparatively slow to you?

The 184 tdi does have significantly more torque, 380 Nm to the 1.8 tsi's 250 Nm. However, you need to look at where this torque is delivered.

The diesel car dishes out it's 380 NM from 1750-3000 RPM. This means you have 93 HP at 1750 RPM and 160 HP at 3000 RPM.

The Petrol car has 250 NM from 1250-5000 RPM. This means you have only 61 HP at 1750 RPM, 105 HP at 3000 RPM, but 175 HP at 5000 RPM, where the petrol power takes over and gives you its full power until 6200 rpm.

That's a decent rev band to work with on the petrol car. With the diesel, you only have max power from 3500-4000 RPM.

In summary, the diesel feels faster down low in the revs because it has about 50% power from 1750-3000 RPM. It is faster down low. However, the petrol comes on song later in the revs, which is when the diesel will have run out of puff and need another gear. The longer you can stay in a lower gear, the more wheel horsepower you'll have due to being in the lower gear.

My advice, use more of the rev range. I feel the car has pretty nippy performance, but you have to wind it out to get it. I like that, but I guess it's not for everyone.

I hope this at least helps you understand why the car feels the way it does. If you already knew this, sorry!
Cheers for that .. it makes sense.. I'll have to take it out and see if the higher rev range will make a difference to my opinion on the car so far.

Thanks again.

Reactions: Jazzjames

Geordie2001

Sep 19, 2013
I have a 1.8tsi DSG, it replaced a (remapped) Abarth 500, even though my Leon is as fast as it, it never really feels it until I look at the speedo!! It's going to feel slower compared to a Golf GTi PP cos it has about 60 less HP. I also have an i3 which is faster 0-40 than my Leon but a bit slower to 60, due to the way it delivers it's power (instant and uninterrupted torque) it feels a lot faster than the Leon well past 60 but it isn't, just the perception of it.
Yeah I can't compare GTI PP I had (247bhp) to this..
The post above yours will hopefully enable me to have a better understanding of this car compared to previous Leon's. Hopefully it'll just be my driving style :)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.