1.8tsi start up noise

jmh0804

Jan 12, 2011
Southampton
Evening all.

Since owning my Leon the noise on a cold start up has some what annoyed me.

Its like the mk4 golf days of the starter motor not disengaging.

The car has been in at the dealer today and I've ask that this noise be looked at/corrected.

They just called me and said the other work has been completed. and that the noise i'm hearing from the seat technical bulletins is "normal"

So a couple of questions.

Does any one here have the 1.8tsi leon sc.

do any of you then have the same annoying noise on initial start up?

And or have any of you had this resolved or been told the same as me?

Last edited:

matty1000kk

Oct 11, 2011
I'm assuming you mean a whine on start up that happens for a second or two?

Mine has always done this from when I owned the car (1 year old and 6,000 or so on the clock).

I keep meaning to book it in to be checked out as well so I cant offer you any help i'm afraid but i'm sure someone else has posted on this forum with this issue on a 1.8tsi. Apart from this it runs fine with no issues and doesn't seem to do it when the engine is warm.

Jord

Apr 29, 2012
I have this noise on my week old 1.8 tsi.

I previously had an 2009 A3 1.8 tfsi (pretty much the same engine) and that did do it but nowhere near as loud or screechy.

BenN

Feb 28, 2014
We have a 1.4tsi FR 5DR Mk3 Leon and it makes a little squeel on start up. Its always done this since brand new and now has about 4.5k on the clock. It sounds like the starter motor and is quite high picthed, but only sounds for less than a second once the engine has actually started.

Ours has been into the dealership for a hazard light switch fix and they never picked up on it. i keep meaning to ask about this, but always forget. Anyone else know more, does it do it on other engines?

BenN

Feb 28, 2014
So i managed to get a video recording of our Leon as the wife started it this morning, cold start and you can hear the sound i described at 7 seconds in. Is this the same for everyone else? The second squeel is the rear wiper. Sorry about the video quality, was taken on my phone.

http://youtu.be/SX6Lb9WEy_A

FRTSIman

Aug 2, 2013
Strange - My DSG 1.8TSI petrol Leon (I've had for nearly a year since new) has never made any unusual noises (such as those reported in this thread) when starting!

jmh0804

Jan 12, 2011
Southampton
Thanks for the replies.

Comforting knowing I'm not alone with this noise.

As said its just not a nice noise to hear on a car. mine has done this from new too. I'm just over 6k miles on a 13 plate.

Annoying when you're leaving a pub say and you start the car and everyone say's "that sounds healthy" £20k on a car to make a similar noise as a badly maintained mk4 golf isn't what I wanted.

BenN

Feb 28, 2014
My wife claims she can't hear the same noise from inside the car, ie doesnt sound as bad. She thinks the noise comes from the LED headlights as they dip on startup (Free tech pack installed), apparently its in time with this. I havent had chance to confirm tho. Can anyone confirm?

Stegor

Jul 17, 2011
So i managed to get a video recording of our Leon as the wife started it this morning, cold start and you can hear the sound i described at 7 seconds in. Is this the same for everyone else? The second squeel is the rear wiper. Sorry about the video quality, was taken on my phone.

http://youtu.be/SX6Lb9WEy_A

Sound like a cow! :D

szczeslaw

Sep 24, 2014
1.4 TSI - i also have that sound. And no - it sounds nothing like a starter. But i have no idea what it might be...

Snah

Jul 7, 2014
Netherlands
What I mean is that the engine after it started is driving the startermotor because the startermotor pinion is not retracted in time and stays connected to the ring-gear. That sound is similar to what is heard in the video.

Last edited:

BenN

Feb 28, 2014
Went out and watched the front lights as the wife started the leon this morning. The sound happens exactly for the same duration as the LEDs dip down, stops as they r coming back up. Stopped car and tried again to take a video but didn't do it again, so confirmed its on a cold start as others have said. Anyone else fancy checking whether theirs coincides with headlight dip?

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
What happens if you switch the lights off before you start the engine? (Turn off auto lights)

BenN

Feb 28, 2014
I'm not sure, will have a go. Tried again this morning, headlights will have been on auto, but didn't come on as it was sunny, yet still dipped. Here's a video, looks slightly out of time, but there could be some difference between the linkage moving the light and the motor turning. Thoughts? Anyone else able to confirm on theirs?

http://youtu.be/aGW25kKc0Z0

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.