1.8TSI - ticking on startup?

derelyth

Jun 11, 2011
Portsmouth
Hi all,

Picked up my FR yesterday :D (Pics will follow, I promise!) and noticed when I started it from cold there was a very audible ticking from the engine - has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

Karl

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Wouldn't be a new car thread without someone getting concerned about ticking on startup :)

Its more than likely quite normal, going right back to the 1.8T in the late 90's to the later TFSI's and now the lastest TSI engine, they have always had odd tappy ticking sounds.

Its more often than likely either related to the injector rail, or various pumps etc that are running, the TFSI in the Mk2 Cupra sounds like an explosion in a pinball factory. ;) Beeps whistles, taps, ticks you name it. But they are fine. :)

If anything is generally wrong under there, the car will tell you with limp modes, dash lights etc before you'd even know about it.

Last edited:

derelyth

Jun 11, 2011
Portsmouth
That's great, thanks Mark!

It's my first brand-new car and my first turbo petrol. Coming from a PD diesel I'm used to a clattery start-up but was expecting a very nice purr!

I'll be sure to get some pics up tonight.

Cheers

Karl

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
That's great, thanks Mark!

It's my first brand-new car and my first turbo petrol. Coming from a PD diesel I'm used to a clattery start-up but was expecting a very nice purr!

I'll be sure to get some pics up tonight.

Cheers

Karl

No its quite normal if your not used to it, but they don't idle very refined. They sound quite diesel-like especially when cold. They won't be as clattery in the same way as some diesels can be, but they certainly don'y purr. :D

Apparently the fuel rails actually tap because the injectors vibrate against them, and that's quite normal. Things like the carbon filter tap away too, plus lots of electro-operated valves and solenoids that all add up to make a racket too.

Look forward to seeing your pics, just about to hit the go button on an SC 1.8TSI DSG :)

faw13

Sep 2, 2013
That diesel like engine sound is making me mad sometimes especially in traffic jams :) and the high rev sound is not as mind blowing as it is on japanese cars :)

derelyth

Jun 11, 2011
Portsmouth
Not a fan of high-revving engines myself - now a 4L+ V8 with/without a supercharger = :love:

I have to say though I'm very impressed with the TSI - the torque being available over such a ranges makes up for the small amount - extremely capable.

I just need to get used to getting it off the line which seems quite slow in comparison. Though I'm wondering if that's me being used to having to baby a dying TDI...

faw13

Sep 2, 2013
Well i used to own a Civic Sedan (FD6) for 2.5 years, and the cutter at 7200 rpm was the real fun of the car, but was a little bit slow in city traffic due to low torque, the 1.4 TSI is great for city driving, as you mentioned the torque is there for almost 3000 rpm and the car is willing to go as you push the pedal, though i miss the idea of driving in red-line with the cutter and driving VW's and Audis mad with that noise :p but the engine is great between 2-5000 rpm and dead between 5000 - 6500 :)

Jun 15, 2013
That diesel like engine sound is making me mad sometimes especially in traffic jams :) and the high rev sound is not as mind blowing as it is on japanese cars :)

No such problems with the 1.4 TSi in my Mk 3.

A high revving normally aspirated car will always make a different sound to a turbo engine. And this from a person who hates whistling wastegates and all that juvenile nonsense. Thank god Seat keeps the TSI quiet.

Each to their own but the instantly available low and mid range grunt of a turbo (petrol or diesel) is way better than having to ring the nuts off a normally aspirated engine to get the same performance.

CyberGene

Apr 26, 2008
Sofia, Bulgaria
I went from two high-revving normally aspirated Japanese cars (a V6 1.8 Mazda MX-3 and a 2.3 Honda Prelude) to the mk2 Leon with 1.8 TSI (160 HP). Ohhh, what a revelation! I hated that I had to rev the hell out of those two engines and the cars were buzzing like they were going to take off in the sky while in fact they were slower than many cars with far less racing appeal. And there was literally nobody in the engine low to mid revs. In contrast 1.8 TSI is extremely quiet and refined - no noises, no vibrations and a HUGE torque even in low revs. And it pulls away like an aircraft. I've done some little "junction to junction" street drags with random cars and found it very humiliating that I was able to overcome most of them with ease and with no noise out of my car compared to some ridiculous roar from the other car ;)

Last edited:

weatherlight

My 1.2 TSI is ticking at idle as well. You cant hear it sitting inside with windows and doors closed but the first time I popped the hood, I was very worried and searched the web for answers and called Seat to see it is normal with these turbo stratified injection engines.

I also had a 8.2K revving Honda Civic vti until 5 years ago and the car was legendary. With a custom air intake + exhaust, the sound was on par with race cars at 6000+ rpm. Vtec was flying combined with the short gear ratios and it was a very reliable car as well. Although gas prices were not that high back then and I was not married. I like the economy my 1.2TSI provides.

Last edited by a moderator:

derelyth

Jun 11, 2011
Portsmouth
I got out the car with the engine running after getting home from work tonight and the ticking had gone so that has settled me - I guess the injectors warmed up!

I also liked hearing the burble from the exhaust :D

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.