1.9 Altea cambelt and service

DoddsR26

Hi all ... my local Seat dealer has quoted me £650 for cambelt, water pump and service for the 50k 4 yr service does this sound reasonable?. The car is the 1.9 TDi model. 2007.

Thanks Paul.

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
That sounds like a hell of a lot. Cambelt change can be found on a well known auction site for £250 from an Audi main dealer. Another £30 or so will get the water pump done at the same time. That leaves about £350 for an oil change which is about all a 50k service involves.

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Get a kit, some info and get stuck in, at least you'll know it's been done right and it'll save you a fortune on garage bills. I can direct you to a good fitting guide with well laid out instructions and pics. Just need to know what age your car is and if you have a pd or non pd engine.:)

DoddsR26

thanks .. i'll get a price from an independant garage as its out of warranty now .. I have been quoted £247 for the service ... so thay are charging around £400 for the belt change.
Initially they quoted me £770. its going to be an expensive month as need an MOT and 2 new tyres as well.

MWG

Oct 6, 2008
Hertfordshire
Try AmdEssex they are over near lakeside, never used them personally but they seem to be well recommended on here

DoddsR26

Right i've now been quoted £385 by a local well respected independant using all genuine Seat parts which is obviously much better £265 better i'm just concerned about the oil as i remember reading once that unless a certain oil is used on this engine it leads to rapid camshaft wear.

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
If you're overly concerned, buy your own oil and take it in for them to use (and ask for the remainder back to be used for topping up ;) ). You can get 5ltrs of Mobil 1 ESP which is excellent and ideal for your engine for £40 from Halfords. Link. They should knock some off for using your own oil, but I doubt it'd be £40 as they'll buy loads of oil and get it much cheaper by the drum.

DoddsR26

thanks i knew it would be more expensive that way .. so as long as their oil is good quality it will be ok?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.