1.9tdi fr fuel gauge issue

Alfalfa91

May 28, 2015
Hey guys,

Has anyone else had an issue with their fuel gauge where just after an eight it starts going mental and one minute is reading empty and the fuel light comes on then its reading normal and then just makes it's mind up?

It was reading a quarter tank and just to be safe I filled it up and it only took £20 so it wasn't actually down that low..

I tried parking in different positions on a hill and sometimes it made a difference and sometimes it didn't.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Could be a problem with the instrument cluster.

The 6 gauge clusters are well renowned for having problems, but there could be problems with other ones as well.

Alfalfa91

May 28, 2015
Could be a problem with the instrument cluster.

The 6 gauge clusters are well renowned for having problems, but there could be problems with other ones as well.

Think I have 4 gauge, what does the 6 have that the 4 doesn't? Think an obd reader would be able to pick it up?

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
The OBD reader doesn't usually pick up the issue, but it's worth a shot anyway.

The 6 gauge has an oil temp gauge on the bottom left and voltage gauge on the bottom right.
I've no idea if they are in anyway interchangeable either.

It's also worth knowing if you want to go about swapping the dash clocks over you need the new dash coded to your car.

Alfalfa91

May 28, 2015
The OBD reader doesn't usually pick up the issue, but it's worth a shot anyway.

The 6 gauge has an oil temp gauge on the bottom left and voltage gauge on the bottom right.
I've no idea if they are in anyway interchangeable either.

It's also worth knowing if you want to go about swapping the dash clocks over you need the new dash coded to your car.

Might give it a try at my mates work at the weekend just to see and to see it can pick up on anything else.
Ahright okay cheers, don't really need any of that stuff anyways lol if I was to get the 6 dial one there's a boy near me that has vag com that could code it in for me

abbotsmike

Dec 17, 2011
Uxbridge
I have an fr with the same symptoms. It reads empty most of the time. Need to have a look to see if it's the dash cluster or the sender in the tank.

Alfalfa91

May 28, 2015
I have an fr with the same symptoms. It reads empty most of the time. Need to have a look to see if it's the dash cluster or the sender in the tank.

Mine has sorted itself out now?
I was thinking it was the sensor in the tank because I would sit on on hill in different positions and the gauge would read different with ways I was parked on the hill.

abbotsmike

Dec 17, 2011
Uxbridge
Mine has sorted itself out now?
I was thinking it was the sensor in the tank because I would sit on on hill in different positions and the gauge would read different with ways I was parked on the hill.

It'll come back. Every so often mine works just fine. A warning though, never ever trust it ever again. I conked out with no fuel a few weeks back when the gauge read a 1/4. Embarrassing and a massive pain in the arse!!

Alfalfa91

May 28, 2015
It'll come back. Every so often mine works just fine. A warning though, never ever trust it ever again. I conked out with no fuel a few weeks back when the gauge read a 1/4. Embarrassing and a massive pain in the arse!!

Yeah I've been a bit warey of it and I don't really let the fuel drop below a quarter tank anyways.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.