1.9TDI Hot engine won't start

falcon7

Jan 31, 2014
North Devon
My car is a 2006 Altea 1.9TDI which I only use three or four times each week.

Starts first time when cold but recently it has become very difficult to start when it has warmed up. :(

Is this a known trait with a known solution or am I on my own with this one?

I know it is due a fuel filter change but I can't see that really being the cause.

But I don't know what is. :help:

robbo990

Jan 6, 2016
I think I read somewhere the 1.9TDi hot start problem was related to the Starter Motor having some sort of voltage drop - and replacing the starter motor was the answer.

dholdi

Jul 3, 2008
Preston
I had this with mine, it was the camshaft position sensor.
Have you checked for any fault codes ?

falcon7

Jan 31, 2014
North Devon
Thanks for your replies.
Had the low speed starter motor problem last year and had it replaced.
The engine turns over really quickly so I don't think that is the problem now.

I don't have the kit for checking the fault codes and I must admit to not checking the warning symbols while cranking.
Will check them tomorrow when the engine is hot and difficult to start.

What piece of kit do I need to monitor the fault codes on a laptop and presumably there is a list of the codes somewhere.

falcon7

Jan 31, 2014
North Devon
Thanks for the link to VCDS users, didn't find anyone near but will look on the other forums next.

Also looking at buying the lite version and the lead as I like to be independent where I can and it's something new to learn.

Just discovered that the lite version won't work with my Altea as it's the CAN version.

This may work but it doesn't use the Ros-Tech software, are they worth a try at the price?

eBay item number:162131353687

eBay item number:181423558163

Thanks,
Ron

Last edited:

processpaul

Nov 24, 2006
Brighton
Can't really tell if they would work but personally I will only advocate using the genuine software and lead having invested in it myself. Its been invaluable and its become quite a hobby enabling functions for other VW group users and helping fix cars.

I'm sure you will find a user nearby just try other forums. UKmkIV's has a list too.

Good luck.

falcon7

Jan 31, 2014
North Devon
Can't really tell if they would work but personally I will only advocate using the genuine software and lead having invested in it myself. Its been invaluable and its become quite a hobby enabling functions for other VW group users and helping fix cars.

I'm sure you will find a user nearby just try other forums. UKmkIV's has a list too.

Good luck.

Thanks for looking at them and also the links.
Will check them out tomorrow
I'm a bit long in the tooth to have a new hobby though having collected too many already over the past 83 years :)

falcon7

Jan 31, 2014
North Devon
No ebay box of tricks.
It had a Quantum remap 18 months ago and the performance has been great until a few weeks ago.
Gone in for an MOT and a look at the OBD codes.
There were other problems :( and I won't have the car back for a few days... waiting for parts to arrive.

falcon7

Jan 31, 2014
North Devon
Found this item about the Hamman Mod

"1.9 tdi difficult to start when hot. After hearing about this mod, I read all I could find on the inter net. I was not sure about it, but this week I did it and it works. It is not an easy job to do, as access is very difficult but It can be done. you have to cut one of the two wires going to the engine temperature sensor, it doesn't matter which one as you have to insert a 2,000 ohm resistor in series with the sensor, via a 12volt relay. the relay energising coil has to be fed from the wire that energises the starter solenoid, so that the extra resistance is only in the circuit when the starter motor is running.
This apparently fools the ECU into thinking the engine is cold and allows fuel to be injected."

1263820830-10027.jpg

Have the parts and could do this mod but where is the starter solenoid and
where is the coolant sensor?

Is it likely to work?

Borrowed an OBD lead and downloaded the fault codes but no relevant faults found.
No addresses between 03 and 08 were scanned by default but I'm still getting used to the program so that is still work in progress.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise