1 Wing Mirror Stopped Folding

MrJohn91

Aug 27, 2014
www.facebook.com
Hi guys,

For some reason my Cupra 280 passenger side wing mirror has give up folding in. Within about 24 hours it went from folding halfway to giving up altogether. I can hear and feel the motor try for a split second but not even a gentle persuasion helps it go. I haven't yet plugged it in to my OBD11 but imagine it's not going to tell me specifically that the motor has given up.

Has any one had this problem before and if so can you replace the motor alone or is it a full replacement wing mirror?

Thanks in advance!

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
I had both wing mirrors replaced on my pre-FL FR. Coincidentally, both at this time of year as the temperature started to drop.

The motor and wing mirror structure are a single assembly. The cover, glass, indicator assembly etc will have to be swapped across from the old unit.

There was a thread on here a while ago where someone had tried to change the motor only.

The dealers are also pretty good at breaking the plastic cover where the inner door puller is - this needs to be removed to access the bolt securing the door card. Probably need to factor one of these and a few door card fasteners into the repair as the break easily too.

MrJohn91

Aug 27, 2014
www.facebook.com
I had both wing mirrors replaced on my pre-FL FR. Coincidentally, both at this time of year as the temperature started to drop.

The motor and wing mirror structure are a single assembly. The cover, glass, indicator assembly etc will have to be swapped across from the old unit.

There was a thread on here a while ago where someone had tried to change the motor only.

The dealers are also pretty good at breaking the plastic cover where the inner door puller is - this needs to be removed to access the bolt securing the door card. Probably need to factor one of these and a few door card fasteners into the repair as the break easily too.

Thanks for that, I have some door card fastners spares from sound-proofing so will probably give it a whirl. Now to get my hands on a new mirror!

GeoffGeoff

Feb 1, 2020
Is the wing mirror still trying to work i.e. you can hear the motor or see a tiny movement but it’s like it’s stuck....if you, gently, pull it out as it is trying to open does it work?

I had a similar experience on a previous car and the dealer wanted to replace the whole thing at a considerable cost...I got a can of spray grease (not WD40...proper grease) and it freed it right up and was fine for the next year and a half until I sold it.

Worth checking.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members