140 PD EGR delete

306Chris

Jan 20, 2007
Howdy!

I keep seeing the EGR valve & cooler delete kits and wondered if anyone could review it or give an idea of the benefits?

Also I have a REVO stage 1 would this need adjusting afterwards?

Thanks in advance

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
It needs to be coded out. So yes. your map needs to be altered a bit. Not so much the map itself, but the instructions in the ECU to use the EGR.

Benefits:
- Not clogging up your inlet manifold with exhaust gunk
- Anecdotal evidence of increased throttle response
- Lower temperatures in your intake a bit
- weight saving (cooler and all)?

Disadvantages:
- I think it may be used to warm up the car at first start, so that may be a little rougher
- emissions be a bit higher (NOx)
- minor increase in consumption
- pain in the ass the remove
- requires ECU remap
- DPF gets more clogged (if you've got one)

My final conclusion was it's not worth it. Get rid of it if it plays up. If not. Leave it. I'm sure the purists on here will disagree

Last edited:

306Chris

Jan 20, 2007
Thanks! Great reply!

Doesn't seem much sense in messing with it then :)

Are there any other Tweeks worth doing on these engines? Perhaps to uncover another horse or 2? ;)

Last edited:

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
Thanks! Great reply!

Doesn't seem much sense in messing with it then :)

Are there any other Tweeks worth doing on these engines? Perhaps to uncover another horse or 2? ;)

Not really tbh.

It's kind of an all-in approach on these things I've noticed.

Remap stg1, remap stg2...after that it's bigger turbo, 4bar MAP sensor, bigger injectors, etc etc

Not like petrol where you can sneak a few from a cheap intake, then some more from the exhaust, then some more from a sports cat, etc etc.

If you are actually talking 1-2hp gains...lose weight :) haha. Or remove the carpets from the boot. There. Equivalent of 1-2hp gained in weight savings

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2008
birmingham
I got one of those egr gaskets with a 5mm hole in so I can keep the egr but restrict tge amount of crap going throught it and also remain a flow through the egr so no eml comes on !!!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
I got one of those egr gaskets with a 5mm hole in so I can keep the egr but restrict tge amount of crap going throught it and also remain a flow through the egr so no eml comes on !!!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

That is indeed an option.
Was that the gasket from an Ibiza or something? I read about that

Faisal

UK's 1st Liquid Yello LCR
May 27, 2008
Most likely at work
when i remapped my pd140 gt tdi, it was hesitant at times. it would have a bit of lag when putting the foot down at around 2k revs and more lag after changing gears flat out - as opposed to the remapped pd130 i had before that.

took it back to the dude who mapped it and he quickly mapped the egr out and stuck a blanking plate on (£2 on ebay). rectified the problem. no noticeable drop in mpg either. negligible emissions difference too.

i got it done for free because i asked nicely!

andyspencer

Eat My Soot
May 19, 2008
Birmingham
I have done this, and can confirm in this weather there is no issue with drop in mpg and slight improvement when picking up revs from low down. However, in colder conditions it does take a little longer to warm up the engine. Which obviously means a small drop in MPG if you are on short-mid journeys.

More to the point, EML will come on after a few miles of driving as there will be no communication between ECU and EGR - it needs mapping out. You can't do it on VCDS alone. You can only remove the light, but then it will re-appear after another several miles of driving.

I heard this can also have adverse effects with cars with DPF. As lower temps means more blockage? something along these lines?

IMO, only worth doing if you are chasing power figures. More fuelling in power map = more carbon (smoke) = a more blocked EGR

hope this helps