16" set of alloys swap anyone? (5x112)

'& Son' managed

Third Party
Mar 2, 2018
South Coast
Hi, Not lovin' so much the 16" 'diamond cut ' style VW 'Linas' alloys my 2019 Golf came with and looking to replace with equally immaculate 5, (or 6-spoke at max) 16 alloys, obviously same MQB platform fitment, (5x112 PCD)

Anyone interested in a swap/partial swap please indicate interest here. Can confirm wheels are less than 3K miles old, fitted with the original 205/55 Michelin Energys. Sorry, I'm only interested in 16" - no other diameters considered. Location south of England.

(Image below is not of my Golf, but gives a good idea what clean 16" Linas alloys look like.)

Attachments

Last edited:

'& Son' managed

Third Party
Mar 2, 2018
South Coast
The VW 'Linas' alloys do look a lot better than some others, but it takes too much time and effort to keep them as clean as I want to, hence the request to swap them for another simpler style of suitable 16" VAG wheels. (The enclosed image is of a random Linas alloy, mine look the same, but without the scratch damage)

Attachments

'& Son' managed

Third Party
Mar 2, 2018
South Coast
Seems I'm well on the way to solving the issue of the stylish, but PITA to clean 16" 'Linas' alloys on my 2019 Golf.

Rather than carry-on trying and swap with someone, it occurred to me that I could do my Dad a favour, (and save
me searching for a birthday pressie) by donating the set to him to replace the over-sized, less appealing and
just-as-awkward-to-clean 17" rims that came with his SE Dynamic Leon.

This approach gave me a free hand to search for a set of 'ideal' for me 16" rims in the 6.5-7.5 wide range that fitted
well, looked good, (or at least interesting) with no more than 6 spokes for easy/quick cleaning.

While spending too much time researching, I thought I would try and find wheels that were also lighter and I came
across these forged, (well, flow-formed at least) lightweight 16" creations from an unlikely source - unlikely in the
sense they are O.E. on a cr*p fashion car that doesn't need and you wouldn't expect to have such items fitted...

Attachments

'& Son' managed

Third Party
Mar 2, 2018
South Coast
This above image was just an initial 'trial-fit' to confirm all wheel clearances are OK. Those tyres are huge-depth sidewall
205/65x16" that the wheels came with - these will be changed to something more suitable and new centre caps that will
fit the small 54mm holes are en-route to me as I write this.

For anyone interested, this large combo, (673mm in diameter) does actually fit, in the sense they just clear in the wheel
well lock-lock without rubbing, (on a Golf 7 at least) - although I can't imagine anyone thinking it a good option.

The wheels themselves are sized 16x7J with an ET41 offset - and even with those big tyres are 1.6Kg each lighter than
the VW 16x6.5J Linas with standard-size 205/55 Michelins. How fast before someone on here recognizes them?

'& Son' managed

Third Party
Mar 2, 2018
South Coast
Will you be selling the 17s at all? (Need some replacement for my 16in junk!)
That's the plan, but I wasn't going to mention about that until the time comes - just in case Father decides that he doesn't want to swap to the 16" VW Linas, (unlikely, but you never know.) In any case, it won't be until the end of the year at the earliest, as I've decided to put a set of 205/55 all-season tyres on my new 16" 5-spokes and won't be switching-over until then.

For anyone interested and willing to wait, the SEAT DY 17", (style 30-3) are immaculate and come from an always-garaged 2018 Leon, having done around 4K gentle miles. They come with the 3 factory-fit 225/45 Dunlop SportMaxx tyres, with the other one replaced with an identical Dunlop last year due to a 'near sidewall' puncture on the original.

SEAT ask £379+ per wheel new without a tyre, which is of course ridiculous - prices on fleabay start in the £100 region each per 'good' wheel/average tyre, so it's going to have to be the £450 mark for the set of 4. Not cheap, granted, but very good value for what they are if you want the real SEAT thing in excellent, lightly-used condition. They will of course also fit a wide range of modern VAG cars using 5x112 PCD.

Image of his Leon with the wheels when new below, (they/the car still look the same...)

Attachments

AT Designs, Custom Badge Design for forum members