17965 - Audi A3 Tdi??

cuprabaz

Racing 2020VT
Jun 22, 2004
Aberdeenshire
Car seems to go into limp mode while accelerating also after cruising for 10-15 mins the turbo seems to die.

Found the code 17965, charge pressure control positive deviation.

Any ideas?

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
cuprabaz said:
Car seems to go into limp mode while accelerating also after cruising for 10-15 mins the turbo seems to die.

Found the code 17965, charge pressure control positive deviation.

Any ideas?

Do an output test of the N75

Bustermagic

Have the same problem on my VW bora 130PD. Replaced N75 valve with no improvement, so if off to the stealers who said their going to check the MAF (I've been told it's under warranty for 5 years) and possible sticky vanes on the turbo which apparently is a common problem!?.

sssstew

Editing your spelling
hopper wasnt being to helpful there.

anyway, as mentioned above, could be a dodgy N75 (if its a 90 or 110) not applicable to the PDs.

Or commonly sticky vanes on the turbo, someone very recently had this problem, do a search back through, not just the TDI section mind.. it was somewhere else...

cuprabaz

Racing 2020VT
Jun 22, 2004
Aberdeenshire
I had a good look round the engine and couldn't see an N75? Turbo vanes?? could someone explain this, never heard of turbo vanes before. Does this only apply to diesel turbo's?

Will clean the MAF tomorrow with electrical solvent.

cheers

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
Right, forgot we're talkin PD engines here,,,
Anyway, on the 130 there's a black box in where all the hoses connect, that does the function of the N18 and N75 together,,, But before touching anything with the hands, I'd test it via vag com [engine output tests].

If it is sticky vanes, there's the stuff to spray into the inlet after the MAF, that should free the vanes movement. Or you can spray the WD stuff directly onto the VNT control arm and let it pour into the turbine housing,,, as you will. Anyway the cleaner stuff into the inlet will clean all the inlet from the filter to the head [turbo, IC hoses, IC, EGR, inlet manifold and head].

Turbo vanes: the newer diesels turbo are variable gemoetry turbos [V.ariable N.ozzle T.iming] this means that the turbo optimizes its geometry in order to reduce lag and spool up asap,,, something you petrol heads can only dream of :bleh:

If ya really interested, try a look at the tdi faq, plenty of schemes there,,,

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
Connect to the engine module, in the lower part of the screen there are basic and advanced functions, in the advanced functions section there's 'output tests',,,

VNT control arm: it's on the turbo,,, here are some pictures of a VNT-15 turbo and on the first you can clearly see the VNT actuator arm,,,

Bustermagic

Basstard what's the name of the stuff that you can spray into the inlet after the MAF to clean the vanes, just in case the stealers cannot fix mine?

For info - I have a 2002/3 130PD which does have the N75 and N18 valve set up and it was only on later models this changed to the black box thing so maybe worth checking, although it did not fix the 17965 problem when I replaced mine.

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
The dealer should be absolutely able to fix the sticky vanes,,, but they have to take the turbo off and the housing apart,,, so quite costy.

*IF* the spray thing works then it should remove all build up in the intake [turbo, IC and EGR included] and thus leaving you with no need to remove anything.

IIRC in england it is called 10k diesel booster,,,
What I fear is the debris falling into the engine or getting stuck with the valves,,,

There's a thread about that in the tdi tuning section but there ain't much info in it yet,,,

Many thanx for the N75/N18 vs blackbox info,,, I indeed had doubt about that since I saw a golf which clearly had a pd engine but had the N75 and N18 separated,,, I thought that was a 115hp but then the alloys were different,,, now it's all clear,,,

The overboost prob can be a bunch of things,,, first to check are N75 and sticky vanes,,,

Bustermagic

Well car went to stealers yesterday but they could not find the problem with my error code 17965 and suggested a new n75 valve. I told them that I had already replaced this and they said that they would need the car for at least two days to see if they could find the fault. I therefore decided to use the air inlet spray cleaner to see if that would fix the problem, well.......

Used a product called POWERBOOST which is similar to 10k Boost. All I can say is WOW! Took 20 minutes to use and the outcome is brilliant and well worth spending £27. It has also fixed my 17965 positive pressure deviation problem and smoothed out the rough idle problem I had, so a big thanks to Basstard for suggesting this one and saving me loads of money!! :thumbup:

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise