184 FR DTUK CRD3+ user feedback

Titanium66

Jun 26, 2016
184 fr sc titanium dsg plus dtuk box and pedal box

Ive had my box fitted just over a week i settled upon map 1 plus 1 tried maps 1,2 and 3 on plus2 and plus3 only problem found was car entered limp mode in 3 plus 3 . To be fair though im also running the pedal box in sport plus 3 so far i find the pedal box combination awesome although not without fault i seem to have lost my kickdown function and full throttle seems so be achived around 1 third depress of the go button :shrug: using the flappy paddles however brings out the best in both units :3rd: is it worth the money hell yes :thumbd: will experiment more over next few weeks mileage results etc

pastrami

MK3 LEON ST FR 2.0 TDI184
May 15, 2017
Kent
My experience thus far:

Used without fault on my ST FR 184 for a good 3 or 4 months, fantastic fun, great having that extra power, then suddenly starting getting a coil light warning, and Limp Mode, spoke to DTUK, very helpful, told me to adjust settings. So I did, but a few weeks later same problem, same phone call, lower the settings even more, also could be to do with a known 'faulty boost sensor' issue with some mk3 Leons. Adjusted settings and then started also getting an Engine Management Light come on, which would go away after a decent motor way run (regen?). So for now the box is out. The problems seem to arise at roughly the intervals of a regen (every 500 miles?) I think. I'm not an expert.

So i'm still under warranty at the moment, and hoping that when it next goes in for a service I can mention this faulty boost sensor and whether they can replace it. I'll mention that a coil light has come on a few times, and hope they can't prove I've had a box in there.

Yes, my fault if they do, it was a risk I knew about when I purchased it. I'm just annoyed for the loss of power reverting back to the stock now that i've experience what the car is capable of.

Last edited:

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
What has people experience been when declaring the boxes to their insurance company? Do they happily accept them, but charge an extortionate increase?

auds2

Jul 6, 2015
What has people experience been when declaring the boxes to their insurance company? Do they happily accept them, but charge an extortionate increase?

Insurance is a tricky one as everyones personal circumstances and driving record is taken into account and different insurance companies view these and other tuning in different ways.

pastrami

May 15, 2017
Kent

My insurance is coming up for renewal, not sure whether to add my box back on. Have it with Admiral, pay an extra £100 of so a year, but as it's not working not sure if I'll renew. Might also swap insurers as they have gone up massively. When I phoned up mid-year to add my box on, they had never heard of it. In the end it went under the same category as a chip, or remap.

A lot of insurance companies will just simple double the price, others are more reasonable. Some say the box most only increase BHP by a max of 10%, some 10%-25%, others presumably higher.

Ckpearce91

Feb 20, 2013
Milton Keynes
My insurance is coming up for renewal, not sure whether to add my box back on. Have it with Admiral, pay an extra £100 of so a year, but as it's not working not sure if I'll renew. Might also swap insurers as they have gone up massively. When I phoned up mid-year to add my box on, they had never heard of it. In the end it went under the same category as a chip, or remap.

A lot of insurance companies will just simple double the price, others are more reasonable. Some say the box most only increase BHP by a max of 10%, some 10%-25%, others presumably higher.

I'm with Admiral also, their renewal quote for me was almost double the previous year. I managed to haggle them down to match Adrian Flux

Titanium66

Jun 26, 2016
My experience thus far:

Used without fault on my ST FR 184 for a good 3 or 4 months, fantastic fun, great having that extra power, then suddenly starting getting a coil light warning, and Limp Mode, spoke to DTUK, very helpful, told me to adjust settings. So I did, but a few weeks later same problem, same phone call, lower the settings even more, also could be to do with a known 'faulty boost sensor' issue with some mk3 Leons. Adjusted settings and then started also getting an Engine Management Light come on, which would go away after a decent motor way run (regen?). So for now the box is out. The problems seem to arise at roughly the intervals of a regen (every 500 miles?) I think. I'm not an expert.

So i'm still under warranty at the moment, and hoping that when it next goes in for a service I can mention this faulty boost sensor and whether they can replace it. I'll mention that a coil light has come on a few times, and hope they can't prove I've had a box in there.

Yes, my fault if they do, it was a risk I knew about when I purchased it. I'm just annoyed for the loss of power reverting back to the stock now that i've experience what the car is capable of.

Hmm thats a tad concerning Pastrami what maps were you running when you started to get problems and had you added the pedal box or done any other mods to the car ?

pastrami

May 15, 2017
Kent
Hmm thats a tad concerning Pastrami what maps were you running when you started to get problems and had you added the pedal box or done any other mods to the car ?

No other mods. No pedal box.

Think I was running 2-2. Speaking to DTUK a few weeks ago they said it really varies from engine to engine though, even if it's the same model of car. So Map 1/2/3 on mine could be different to yours. Once I'd had the problem a couple of times I decided to go down to 2-1, then tried 3-1 and 3. All giving different delivery of power, but all giving me coil light/Engine light/limp mode. I never bothered to try +3 on any of the maps as it seemed like it was asking for trouble.

So all in all, i'm thinking the boost sensor just can't handle it. Without box, no problems at all. I've taken it all out for now as it's going for a service soon and i'd rather avoid the questions. I'm debating whether to mention the limp mode to them, or just act dumb if/when they find out through there ECU analysis. Or mention it, and act dumb as to I have no idea why it did it but "i've heard there's an issue with some sensors, and can you replace?".

I.e. i'd like to retain the warranty. AND get the boost sensor replaced. And have my cake and eat it. Alternatively get the boost sensor replaced somewhere else and see if I can get the box back in as I miss the power! First world problems right here.

Last edited:

garry H bird

Oct 27, 2015
Good morning boys and girls would like to speak about my box and continued issues I have the crd+3 fitted to my 150 fr when it works it works very well I have also had many issues regarding coil light/limp mode I must stress dtuk. simon and Andrew have been very good trying to solve my issues I have also replaced my boost sensor and still getting coil light coming on not all the while just crops up I have tried all the settings available +/- with varying results my car is due to be changed in august I have gone for the the new leon fr 184 with all the toys was thinking of getting software changed to the 184 now iam very undecided what to do the service from the guys as been very good I will have my box back today for the fifth time I am hoping its going to be fine if not I will take off and sell it?

cheers GHB

pastrami

May 15, 2017
Kent
Good morning boys and girls would like to speak about my box and continued issues I have the crd+3 fitted to my 150 fr when it works it works very well I have also had many issues regarding coil light/limp mode I must stress dtuk. simon and Andrew have been very good trying to solve my issues I have also replaced my boost sensor and still getting coil light coming on not all the while just crops up I have tried all the settings available +/- with varying results my car is due to be changed in august I have gone for the the new leon fr 184 with all the toys was thinking of getting software changed to the 184 now iam very undecided what to do the service from the guys as been very good I will have my box back today for the fifth time I am hoping its going to be fine if not I will take off and sell it?

cheers GHB

That/this is really frustrating. I was pondering just getting the boost sensor replaced myself, rather than going through warranty... But if you're still having issues even with a new sensor in, it seems pointless! There has to be another issue with Leons for it to keep doing this.

pastrami

May 15, 2017
Kent
I might be barking up the wrong tree here, so excuse the general mechanical ignorance if I'm well off the mark... but I stumbled upon a couple of other tuning website/companies. Both mention one of their services besides tuning is something called "EGR Delete":

This service offers a repair to fix the very common problem with the vag 1.2/1.6/2.0 TDI CR EGR valves at less then half the price for a replacement valve.

These valves fail causing engine lights to be on the dash and sometimes limp mode.

Intrigued I did a little spot of googling on this EGR problem and another tuning company came up:

EGR Valve Fault Symptoms:

Loss of power
Lower fuel consumption
Reduced throttle response
Limp Mode

Warnings:
Engine Management Light
Flashing Glow Plug Light

So is it possible that using the car with the DTUK box in and putting extra load on the engine it's causing an EGR valve fault?

The symptoms seem to be the same, but obviously that's not necessary an indicator of the same cause. Would be great if someone who actually knows a thing or two about cars could chime in!

Website sources: darksidedevelopments.co.uk/ecu-tuning/ and omwtuning.co.uk/vag-1-6-tdi-cr-egr

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
Have been using dtuk for some years now, I just ask Andrew for the settings during final RR results and apply them never failed yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
I might be barking up the wrong tree here, so excuse the general mechanical ignorance if I'm well off the mark... but I stumbled upon a couple of other tuning website/companies. Both mention one of their services besides tuning is something called "EGR Delete":

Intrigued I did a little spot of googling on this EGR problem and another tuning company came up:

So is it possible that using the car with the DTUK box in and putting extra load on the engine it's causing an EGR valve fault?

The symptoms seem to be the same, but obviously that's not necessary an indicator of the same cause. Would be great if someone who actually knows a thing or two about cars could chime in!

Website sources: darksidedevelopments.co.uk/ecu-tuning/ and omwtuning.co.uk/vag-1-6-tdi-cr-egr

Had 4 dtuk boxes using petrol and diesel types over the years, never had a problem has a result of fitting these units. Would check out the various vag websites in case this is a known problem with the 184ps engines egr faults used to be old engine faults (Fords especially)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise