184 mpg

Westy

Sep 30, 2018
This may have been done to death before but I couldn’t find a previous thread but was wandering what mpg people are getting from a std 184 FR Leon?
I’m in the first month of ownership and have gone through a couple of tanks and I’m only seeing around 49mpg on a tankful and that’s daily commute traffic of 80 miles a day, hardly any stop and start and I’ve been driving like Miss Daisy!!!
My previous car was a manual CC with std 140 pd engine and I’d regularly see 54mpg on a tank, same route and driving normally. Perhaps I need to my Leon out of eco mode and open it up a bit :drive1:

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Is your car brand new? If so, the engine will still be quite tight and as it loosens up, your mpg should improve. You’ve not said if it’s DSG or Manual. If it’s DSG, then that will also be a factor if your comparing to your previous manual car.

I’ve not owned a Leon 184bhp diesel but I have had a number of diesel VW Golfs. I found that during colder, late autumn / winter months, the fuel consumption of my VW diesels during the winter 10-15% less than it was during the warmer summer months.

Owners of the mk7 Golf GTD with the same 184bhp diesel engine as yours have commented on some of the VW forums that they also see a dropping off of mpg at this time of year through to springtime, when the weather starts to warm up again.

Have you checked your tyre pressures? If your tyres are under inflated, that could be having an adverse impact on your mpg.

Zaco95

Oct 31, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
When I was commuting 60 miles a day (30 miles each way) sitting at 70 on cruise I could get around 50mpg, sitting at 60 could get at least 60 mpg, the most I’ve ever seen is 72 mpg but that’s driving so carefully throughout the whole journey!

And yes when weather is colder so from this time of year the mpg gets about 10-15 less than normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zeffania

Nov 4, 2016
See my signature. 55 miles a day through two towns and plenty of stop/starts. Only ever have it in sport mode, never switched it off since I bought it :lol:

66,000 miles and a manual FYI

Last edited:

Westy

Sep 30, 2018
Is your car brand new? If so, the engine will still be quite tight and as it loosens up, your mpg should improve. You’ve not said if it’s DSG or Manual. If it’s DSG, then that will also be a factor if your comparing to your previous manual car.

I’ve not owned a Leon 184bhp diesel but I have had a number of diesel VW Golfs. I found that during colder, late autumn / winter months, the fuel consumption of my VW diesels during the winter 10-15% less than it was during the warmer summer months.

Owners of the mk7 Golf GTD with the same 184bhp diesel engine as yours have commented on some of the VW forums that they also see a dropping off of mpg at this time of year through to springtime, when the weather starts to warm up again.

Have you checked your tyre pressures? If your tyres are under inflated, that could be having an adverse impact on your mpg.

Sorry I should have said, it’s a DSG box and the car has done just over 4000 miles. My commute is all A roads. I did notice my mpg dropped off during the cold months with my CC like you mentioned.
I’ll see how it goes as I put some miles on it, I was just curious to see what other people were getting.

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
my long term average on the computer thingy usually sits at 49mpg

I pretty much always get 500 miles to a tank. That's 45l to refill, so that ties in with the 49mpg figure.

Westy

Sep 30, 2018
Thanks for the replies guys, all sounds what I’m getting so nothing to worry about. I just thought being a newer more efficient engine and a smaller lighter car than my old CC the Leon might have got a higher mpg.

Cheers

SimonC82

Jun 12, 2015
I'm on my second 184 both manual and both of them averaged 51mpg. I can get closer to 60mpg when driving like a saint but where's the fun in that? My commute is an 80 mile round trip with the majority being 50/60mph limit and roughly 5 miles of dual carriageway.

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Hi Westy

I have done 510 miles this week including a 180 miles trip back from Exeter today. 67 plate DSG 184tdi with 8k on the clock, I averaged 54mpg mix of Normal and Sport modes.

gof

Oct 10, 2016
Croatia
I had 184dsg 2017 for a year with total of 45000km (cca 27000miles) and long term average was 35mpg or 8l/100km.
Now in my Cupra 300 I only see those numbers in my dreams, not even mentioning some of you guys get 50+mpg.

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
my long term average on the computer thingy usually sits at 49mpg

I pretty much always get 500 miles to a tank. That's 45l to refill, so that ties in with the 49mpg figure.

Pretty much the same as mine. The trip computer usually shows around 51 MPG. I use Fuelio on my phone, and it usually shows the true figure to be around 49 MPG.

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
My last three new cars were VAG diesels and none achieved decent mpg until they had passed the 20 to 30k miles mark, by 70k they would get around 60mpg average - but all were without PFs.

Cold diesel fuel is much less efficient in compression and the auxiliary diesel heater kicked in below 10c, so they burned much more (not sure if the Leon diesel is fitted with this though).

Zaco95

Oct 31, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
My last three new cars were VAG diesels and none achieved decent mpg until they had passed the 20 to 30k miles mark, by 70k they would get around 60mpg average - but all were without PFs.

Cold diesel fuel is much less efficient in compression and the auxiliary diesel heater kicked in below 10c, so they burned much more (not sure if the Leon diesel is fitted with this though).

Couldn’t agree on this more! Mine started getting decent mpg around this time as well!

nick.buchan2

May 10, 2018
160 mile per day commute, mostly motorway. My fuel computer says long term is 53mpg.

Copra68

Jun 10, 2013
I have a DSG and a heavy right foot low 40's mpg. Get about 420-440 miles from a tank

Shaady

Jan 25, 2017
If you're driving sensibly and getting 50-55mpg I think you're in the right ballpark, it actually sounds quite high seeing as the engine is so new.

I get about that most journeys, either on the motorway or on country back lanes, though in the cold this morning it was much lower because of the weather. Think that is only going to get worse now the colder weather is here

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.