1M1 engine 1.9TDi oil lamp flashing 5 times

MTi

Jan 19, 2021
sorry, I accidently posted this to the Ibiza mk1 forum, should of been Leon mk1.

I have checked around the webs and tried some troubleshooting so far without any luck. Other problems ive solved had a solution here thought I would sign up and ask .

On key in and ignition on I get a yellow warning lamp with the oil can flash 5 times then goes off, matters not if its just ignition or start the car, lamp flashes 5 times the same.

Lamp goes out after flashing.

What ive tried so far is change the pressure switch located on the oil filter housing at the bottom
Ensure my bonnet micro switch is working properly
There is no level sensor on the sump (place for it but blanked off)

Its more annoying than anything and seen as I am trying to fix a few other annoying issues gonna give this another look.

Thanks for any help

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
I haven't had this problem myself, but I have heard of it. Most of what I heard it turn out to be was a blocked pick up or the oil pump is bad.

When was your last oil change? No issues with over filling? Any gunk in the oil?

How long have you had the car? Do you know it well?

Sorry for the barrage of questions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTi

Jan 19, 2021
Hi iamooks, thanks for replying - I have had the car since June 2019, its been owned in the family for a few years before that.

It spent about a year off the road before I started using it because the tappets had worn through so they got replaced.

I changed the oil april last year and it hasnt done many miles at all since then. the oil always looks dark to me, but wouldn't say there was any gunk in it. I flushed it when I changed the oil.

When I changed the oil I had to use an oversize sump bolt as it was stripped and dripping. I remember thinking hope i never have to take the sump off..

MoToJoJo

Mar 25, 2014
Northants
Just wondering if the oil level sensor has been coded out as you say it's been removed. Could that be the reason?

Battoussai

Mar 22, 2016
Portugal
Hello there. I also have that engine and only once that happened to me. I had done service with a fuel filter change. After that I couldn't start the engine - because the fuel lines were empty. During that cranking attemps my oil light flashed (and beep). So callled my mechanic and he said to keep cranking the ignition until the fuel gets to the engine - and explained the oil warning light was because of the oil pump couldn't check the oil level after that many attempts. After 10 ignition turns the car started and never saw that light again. So I think a oil level sensor worth looking at.

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
I bought a pair of front wing R badges im may last year off of Ebay. Im going to check mine tomorrow.
Also won an oe one from ebay recently for the boot. Still in its bag, stuck to the side of my fridge at the moment with a magnet.
20210122_200129.jpg

smutts

Apr 12, 2020
X2 on it being the oil level warning.
A disconnected plug to the sump sender did it for me.
I remember somewhere that it can be coded out via VCDS.
If there is no sump sender, the variable service interval wont work.
No loss as those extended service intervals are cobblers.

Reactions: Rich.T

MTi

Jan 19, 2021
Just wondering if the oil level sensor has been coded out as you say it's been removed. Could that be the reason?
This was the reason. I just changed the oil so decided to get somone i know with VCDS to take a look. once the code was changed no flashing light. I think the ECU was changed before I got the car so maybe it had a sump with the sensor.

Just updating in case helpfull to someone else.

Cheers

Battoussai

Mar 22, 2016
Portugal
This was the reason. I just changed the oil so decided to get somone i know with VCDS to take a look. once the code was changed no flashing light. I think the ECU was changed before I got the car so maybe it had a sump with the sensor.

Just updating in case helpfull to someone else.

Cheers
Thanks for keeping us updated. It's always good to know why and how. :)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members