2.0 Tdi Oem induction pipework!

Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
I have just changed my oil today (strangely only 3.75 litres including oil filter came out, 4.25 went in - go figure)
This involved removing undertray.
I was friggin faberglasted at the tortuous route the air intake tubing takes - feck knows why people mess around with air filters, I doubt it makes any difference whatsoever to air flow.

The route - small rectangle hole both sides above radiator (nice-warm air-lovely, just what you want for efficient combustion, not ), several sharp 90 degree bends into air filter, 90 degree bend out of air filter, across to back of engine, 90 degree bend, across engine again 90 deg bend down to turbo over exhaust (more warm air), thru turbo down to undertray, 90 deg bend, 120 deg bend, S curve then forwards to front of engine, 90 deg bend thru what I assume is intercooler infront of rad, 90 deg bend out, again across other side of engine front, 90 bend up front of engine, thru EGR which is approx a 70% restriction and eventually into inlet manifold! I'm surprised any air ever actually reaches the turbo, let alone the engine.:(

What worried me (on a 27k) engine is that the ally pipe from exhaust to egr valve was already well sooted up. (its coming off this weekend for a clean and blanking plate). Also there was a significant amount of oil seeping from the joints of the air inlet on the way in and out of the intercooler. 4 joints in all. The oil must come from the crankcase ventilation. If its seeping out of the joints (x4) then there must one heck of a lot of turbo pressured air leaking out too, when it could be providing more boost to engine. Would be interesting to measure the pressure drop across the pipe system. why aren't these jubilee clipped instead of unsupported flimsy rubber o ring seals?

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
I have/had leaky intercooler piping. Found the seal was split. Going to get decent o-rings and fit them for a tight fit and an extra clip , due to theclamp on it is useless!

loadswine

loadswine
Crisp, did you clean the pipe and install a blanking plate? I've heard things before about dealers using a larger gasket or something to restrict the amount of exhaust gases going back through. This is supposed to make quite a difference.
I reckon mine could do with the same treatment.
Did you take any pics of what you did? Where did you get the blanking plate and does it do the trick?

MWG

Oct 6, 2008
Hertfordshire
I know this is old but i serviced my car a month or so back and found exactly the same thing

How did you fix the leaks? I was thinking a couple of O rings each end with some big jubilee clips?

Also what did you do for your EGR blanking? take the pipe off and put 2 plates in its place?

Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
I got new seals for the intercooler entry point - it keeps blowing off (remapped) and then some small self tappers thru the pipe to keep it in place.
|I have a small hole about 5 mm in a blanking plate (cut from a biscuit tin) big enough to stop cel light coming on. I have a catch can so no oiling up/soot caked on problem on egr.

MWG

Oct 6, 2008
Hertfordshire
Would those seals be from the dealers? I'll invest in some jubilee clips to start with and see what happens when i get round to a remap

Did you adjust the EGR settings using Vag-com as well or just purely put the plate in?

Catch tank will be ordered next week then. I assume you have no problems with yours other than having to empty it every now and then?

Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
Rarely have to empty catch can but have ended up with a very long pipe running down underside of car to get rid of steam/vapour otherwise your car tends to "smoke" when stationary!
It is not possible to vagcom the egr on 2.0 BKD engine.
The seals were from dealer. Not sure jubilee clip will help much to seal since the pipe is rigid. A sling of thick plastic ties has been known to work well - 1 round each tube end then 2 or 3 across join between the other 2 to hold joint together.

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
My intercooler joint kept blowing off too, a large jubilee clip with a bolt fastening on it and some nonsetting gasket sealant later and not blow off or leaks.....

MWG

Oct 6, 2008
Hertfordshire
My plan is to block off the opening on the intake and connect the CCV to the catch can, then i was thinking of doing what you have and run a pipe down to the back of the under body protection somewhere and stick one of those vent filters they sell at halfords on the end

I was under the impression you might be able to adjust the EGR setting like the PD130 engines, never mind, i was gonna stick a plate in so that's got to help

Cheers for the help

Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
You maybe able to adjust egr on the 1.9 but you can't on the 2.0.
Yeah I blocked off the intake pipe using a rubber furniture foot - pack of 4 from B&Q or focus etc. I wouldn't put a filter on - its only water vapour that comes out. A filter may restrict flw to much. Since you are not using the inlet manifold to pull the vapour thru, it has to breathe easily from the crankcase.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
feck knows why people mess around with air filters, I doubt it makes any difference whatsoever to air flow.

don't forget its 'forced' induction anyway but for a better idea try snorkelling with ya hand over the pipe ;) :cartman:

Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
Proven RR tests have shown that a standard VAG air filter is as good as any "performance" filter on a turbo disel.
My point was that any small differences in filter efficiency are far outwieghed by the inefficient inlet ducting system.
My Alfa GTV has 4ft of inlet tubing at 90mm diam that goes thru just 170 deg over 2 gradual turns, not 720 deg over about 60ft that the 20TDI has!

MWG

Oct 6, 2008
Hertfordshire
Made plate up from some 1mm SS sheet i had, stuck a 5mm hole in it as suggested and fitted it earlier. Dropped the allen key in the process though which meant i had to get the underbody protection off to get it back

Good job really, sodding inter cooler pipe had begun to work its way out, was just enough to be leaking [:@] Stuck some cable ties round it until i get some jubilee clips. Went for a spin to check all was ok, no CEL and pipe has stayed in place :funk:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members