2.0FSI misfire when cold(ish)

robint

Apr 12, 2006
UK, Essex
Had the car about a month now and on a couple of occasions have suffered power loss and a stuttering misfire :( - both after a couple of miles of driving with the temp guage between 50 and 70. When warm all is fine. Car is Tiptronic and problem comes when accelerating gently and so in a relatively high gear initially. Changing to a lower gear seems to deal with the problem. While misfiring the little orange engine light flashes in sympathy but doesn't stay on. Car generally seems fine - year old and 10k miles.

Spoke with dealer who wasn't totally helpful in that unless light stays on then they can't tell the codes so no point in bringing in - not sure I agree. Quick search suggests that this is not a common problem on 2.0FSI VW group engines - anyone any suggestions?? :confused:

Distant Sun

Contains mild peril
Sep 9, 2005
Belfast
I had problems soon after I purchased our Altea (10minutes) with a faulty coil pack causing a misfire and lumpy idle. The coil pack was replaced by the dealer and all was well until similar symptoms occured. Thought this was the coil pack again but turned out to be damp in the connections. See here:http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=74498&highlight=coil+pack

This might be the same for yourself and certainly would tie in with the problem disappearing when the engine warms and the damp burns off. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

robint

Apr 12, 2006
UK, Essex
Finally misfire became bad enough to put the orange engine light on permanently. :( So rang SEAT Mobility Assistance at 9.55am today. By 10.20 there was an AA man with his laptop dragging the codes out suggesting misfire on No4 cylinder. New spark plug and coilpack and warning light out, smooth idle - see what happens over next few days. Cup of T for AA man and on his way by 11.00am. All very efficient and how it should be!! :D :clap:

Distant Sun

Contains mild peril
Sep 9, 2005
Belfast
Cylinder No4, that's the same as went on mine.....coincidence:think:
Glad you got it sorted, just a shame you have to wait until it gets worse before you can get it fixed.:(

robint

Apr 12, 2006
UK, Essex
Well I thought it was sorted.......:( Done about 30-40 miles since Monday's repair no problem and then today thought I heard a misfire again!! No engine light initially and just a slight stumble under load and then at idle. Steadiy got worse so aimed at Lister SEAT in Coventry. Orange engine light came on permanently just before reaching there and it was running very roughly. [:@]

Service guys looked at it fairly quickly (another visit to B&Q - now know layout intimately and considering part time job!) and pronounced cylinder 3 and 4 misfiring now.....as well as a general misfire. No coilpacks in stock so urgent order and should be there by 3am!! I'll go about 10am having been given a 1.4 Ibiza on loan and see what happens. Seem bemused as to why No 4 has gone down twice - rare on these (2.0FSI) engines so service guy says. I suspect something wrong elsewhere unless AA man had wrong coilpack on Monday.

The saga will continue tomorrow!!

robint

Apr 12, 2006
UK, Essex
Call at 8.55am to say car ready. Seems fine with coil packs replaced on cylinders 3 and 4 and no clear reason for failure but coil packs in general seem to be an issue - new Leons are apparantly on the third generation already.....

See how long these last, but the service from Lister SEAT Coventry was fine, particularly Pete.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.