2002 1.4 16v Ibiza Road speed fault?????

chopper

Can anyone tell me how or where the speedo gets its reading from? The speedo suddenly stopped working so I thought there must be a problem with the sensor located in experience on top of the diff housing. When I checked this there was a cable going to a blank dummy fitting that sits in the hole for where the normal speedo sensor sits [Normal as in 02J/02A style boxes]. How dose this system work? I am suspicous that it works off the ABS speed sensors and that there maybe a fault with the ABS.
Thanks in advance.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
if there's an ABS fault, it'll light up on the dash, it should pick up from an electrical impulse sender on the gearbox. so look for wires, not cables

chopper

electrical impulse sender

As I mentioned in my original post I have found an plug,which is attached to the loom, that goes to an opening on the diff casing where you would expect to normaly find either a cable operated speedo drive or electrical inductance driven sensor. In this case the plug is plugged into a plastic item which has no electronic connections that is just used to blank the opening in the gearbox, therefore the signal to the clocks must come from another sensor somewhere. On a 2.0 engined car it probably does use this connector as this style of block will use a 02a or j gearbox. Any other ideas anyone???

massivebhp

New Ibizas use an ABS sensor for a vehicle speed, nearside front I think but don't quote me on that. A main dealer would be able to check for ABS faults which may tell you whats at fault, alternativly try cleaning the dust off all the sensors with brake spray.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.