2008 Leon TDi Coolant Issue

kiteboy

Nov 18, 2015
Hi all

Started the car last night and the warning light came on for engine coolant.

Only drove around a mile and temp of the car didnt rise at all

Anyway just checked today and there's hardly any antifreeze in the car

I admit I havent checked for ages so i guess there maybe a leak somewhere - not sure

I need a timing belt done for sure (53K) and Ive read on here its worth doing the water pump at the same time (not sure if Ive read somewhere that a brass pump is best??)

Can anyone offer advice regarding the coolant - should I just refill and see how it goes - just bought the pink G12+ stuff from eurocarparts

Thanks all

vfr400racer

May 21, 2014
Kent
Coolant can contract in cold weather reducing level slightly. If youve never topped up then most probably over time and with colder temps its reduced enough to bring up a warning. Top up with pink g12 or 12+ and see how it goes. If it loses level in short term then time to investigate. Few complaints in winter of levels dropping people thinking they have a leak and all due to AF fluid contraction.

kiteboy

Nov 18, 2015
Coolant can contract in cold weather reducing level slightly. If youve never topped up then most probably over time and with colder temps its reduced enough to bring up a warning. Top up with pink g12 or 12+ and see how it goes. If it loses level in short term then time to investigate. Few complaints in winter of levels dropping people thinking they have a leak and all due to AF fluid contraction.

Thanks guys - will top up asap and see how is

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members