2011 Leon FR+ TDI - How to improve handling without breaking the bank?

m4rtin

Dec 6, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
Hi Everyone,

I've had my Leon for ages but recently I've fitted Eibach Sportline Springs with the idea of improving the look and handling, I'm happy with the look (OEM+ ish) but wondering what else I could do to improve the handling but without breaking the bank.

I had thought about the SuperPro Front and Rear Suspension Bush Kit until I realised it was nearly £600 just for the kit without fitting. Ouch.

Also read up about fitting new Anti Roll Bars but again they aren't the cheapest to buy.

So I'm wondering what the best mods would be balanced on cost?

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015

m4rtin

Dec 6, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
Well, have a read through the below. Personally my next handling upgrade would be eibach front n rear roll bars.

I would bother with the bush kit. It'll stiffen the car and make it harsh to drive for little return. Also consider an antilift kit.

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/seat-leon-mk2-cupra-r-2011-revo-2.446059/

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index....ack-newb-with-no-mechanical-knowledge.421491/

Wow that took some reading! Really interesting too - thanks for the reply :)

I found the Eibach 26mm Front & 23mm Rear on DPM Peformance for £382.35...

https://www.dpmperformance.co.uk/ca...tdi-20fsi-20tfsi-20tsi-20tdi-inc-cupra-and-fr

Guessing this is the one you mean? Didn't you say your your Leon FR already had a rear one that was the same size as the H&R one you fitted - is the Eibach one bigger?

Also found the SuperPro Anti Lift Kit on Awesome GTI for £116.80 which seems pretty reasonable to buy.

As I rough guide how much did it cost you to get the ARBs & Anti Lift fitted? Guessing I could always do them separately to spread the cost.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Yeah, I think the H&R rear was pretty much the same size. But even with just the front doing it made a big difference to cornering. Combining ARB with antilift keeps the car flatter in all directions. But the Eibachs are the biggest bar I could find without going competition size which the garage reckoned would make it too aggressive.

I went for the Superpro. On both cars. Antilift is really easy. I'd say an hour tops at whatever rate your garage charge. ARBs aren't that much more difficult. Maybe 1.5-2 hours tops.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Found it... apparently I had the eibach roll bars and antilift fitted together, first thing i did LOL. Best doing together as it'll need alignment afterwards. Of course prices fluctuate.
"The roll bars, fitting and alk along with the alignment is £735 inc vat."

m4rtin

Dec 6, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
Wow, so it wasn't that cheap then! haha

I'm guessing that you feel it was well worth the cash though having done it to yours?

I've also spotted the H&R do set of ARB (28mm Front & 24mm Rear) which bigger than the Eibachs (26mm Front & 23mm Rear). Do the think they would be better than the Eibach or is it a bit too much?

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Wow, so it wasn't that cheap then! haha

I'm guessing that you feel it was well worth the cash though having done it to yours?

I've also spotted the H&R do set of ARB (28mm Front & 24mm Rear) which bigger than the Eibachs (26mm Front & 23mm Rear). Do the think they would be better than the Eibach or is it a bit too much?

Not really cheap... but the parts are around £500 and I think the alignment was about £65. So labour wasn't that much.

I felt it was so worth it on the FR+. It was literally the first thing I did to my Cupra (aside from lowering springs). I think the 3 together make a really good handling package.

Yeah, the 28mm H&R kit is what I ordered and the garage warned me off it unless I'm building a track car. I don't know how accurate it is... but this is the way to think about it. Cause I always thought meh, it's 1mm... so 3mm is better. But as you can see from the chart below 1mm is actually several %. And that's % increase. So going from eg 22mm to 26mm will make the car 95% stiffer.

I think the best part of ARBs is sharper turn in. It's really funny watching cars trying to keep up and I'm literally rubbing the kerb and they are matching my speed round the corner, but they have drifted over the white line onto the other side of the road. Negatives, it makes you really lazy!! Previously I'd match the gear to the corner. Now there's times I just corner in 6th... cause I can and I'm too lazy to change down.
whitelineswaybarstiffness.jpg

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I wouldn't bother with the bush kit. It'll stiffen the car and make it harsh to drive for little return.

My bad, was tired last night... meant to say wouldn't bother with the bush kit. I had it fully poly bushed on the FR+ and all rubber on the Cupra. That's how much I enjoyed it. If you want to meet in the middle, I think Nolathane do a hybrid type bush. But personally for a 1-2% improvement in handling to a 1-2mm grinding of enamel off my teeth. I wouldn't bother.

m4rtin

Dec 6, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
Wow that diagram on ARM is an eye opener, really useful to see - thanks.

Sounds like the Eibach might be the best one to go for then. Any idea what the size of the standard ARB are on the FR+?

I think I'll leave the bushes for now and just replace them when required. After watching the following vid last night I think I'll be going for SuperPro ones over PowerFlex...

m4rtin

Dec 6, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
What tyres are you running??

No point spending money on chassis upgrades if you're rolling around on some Linglong ditchfinders.

Yeah I agree 100%

Fronts - Michelin Pilot Sport 4
Rears - Set of brand new Kumho PS91

Always fit UHP tyres, no point fitting anything rubbish as it just ruins the car ;)

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Any idea what the size of the standard ARB are on the FR+?

Just dug my old ones out from the back of the shed! Phew...
So... here are the part numbers:

Front - I measure 76mm round which translates to around 23.5.
D0hngRB.jpg

Rear - I mesure 72mm round which translates to 22.5ish.
6QajlmK.jpg

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I should also add. According to Eibachs instructions, adjustable bars that have eg soft, medium, hard settings. On the chart above if you move from eg medium to hard it's the equiv of +1mm. I can't remember 100% but mine had def 2 positions front and back. But I think one of the bars had 3 settings (but can't remember which one LOL).

m4rtin

Dec 6, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
So a nice increase in size from standard then, thanks for digging them out to check.

Yeah I'd read that they are adjustable, can you remember that settings you went for?

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
So a nice increase in size from standard then, thanks for digging them out to check.

Yeah I'd read that they are adjustable, can you remember that settings you went for?

Ah, just reading up. There's a medium and hard setting for both. I had both front and rear on medium. Garage said if I wanted to try hard, take it back. But I didn't feel I needed to.