2013 Leon with 240k - wise purchase?

Chlub Hibernian

Mar 7, 2017
We sold the wife’s Ateca in preparation for getting a brand new car but they’ve cancelled the order due to COVID.

Decided to by a runaround to save the mileage on my Cupra - I don’t want her driving it to be honest.

I’ve found a 2013 diesel Leon with 240,000 with a FSH, thoughts? Wise move or silly move?

Oliver Pawley

Mar 9, 2019
Following to see what people say, I am also looking at getting an older diesel to use for my 70mile commute now

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

fluffy01016

1.21 Gigawatt !!
Feb 20, 2005
Lincoln
I had a VRS Diesel Octavia which I put 160k miles on in 4yrs. Was perfectly fine and most of it was motorway miles. I know it’s another 80k miles but if the price is cheap enough then I don’t see an issue.

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
My Mk1 Leon TDI did 220,000 miles and had FSH. Still had original exhaust and clutch.

As for the Mk3's. I've heard of some taxi's (Octavia's to be fair but same engines) that have done 200,000+.

If the car has been well looked after (FSH) then why not?

jt20vt

Sep 17, 2010
I'd go for it if the history is correct. I had an Alhambra a while back purchased with 8k on the clock and less than a year old, after using it for work and 5 yrs later it had 256k so sold it on as job changed. The Alhambra is still going with 335k on the clock with the current owner. So as long as they have looked after it I don't see a problem with high mileage.

Reactions: BillyCool

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
At that kind of mileage how long do you think it will be before it needs money spent? The higher the mileage, the higher the chances of big bills.

Don't get me wrong, these cars age well. I had a diesel Golf that had 120K miles on it and it was tight as a drum but double that? I don't know.

It's a shame you're looking to buy right now as we'll be selling our estate once the lockdown ends and it's a good car.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I would say at that mileage you’ll want it to of had a new turbo and a new clutch and flywheel at least before purchase. Also with that mileage you have to ask yourself how much longer will the engine last before major issues

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
If someone is driving 40k miles/year, you'd hope their car would have a full service history as they'd have been pretty reliant on it.
The other obvious question is what's the price. MK3 Leon diesels of that age with half the mileage are approx £5k.

Sharpy

This place has cost me a fortune....
Oct 2, 2018
The engines are good for probably 350k+ no problem. As others have mentioned its the ancillaries such as turbo etc that may be wearing a bit. Also all the suspension parts, rubbers, joints etc may be ageing a bit. It depends how cheap it is and how much has been done. If it was literally all motorway miles then it'll probably be okay as thats all low stress. If it was a taxi and doing short trips about town over speed-bumps etc then thats a different story. Hard to make a call without seeing it really.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Does it have a DPF on it? DPF is supposed to be lifetime for the car. But lifetime usually means 100-120k. At that mileage, I'd expect it would have already needed a new one. But when it went on my Diesel MK2 it was a 3.5k bill.

Sharpy

Oct 2, 2018
Does it have a DPF on it? DPF is supposed to be lifetime for the car. But lifetime usually means 100-120k. At that mileage, I'd expect it would have already needed a new one. But when it went on my Diesel MK2 it was a 3.5k bill.
Ouch!!!

Sharpy

Oct 2, 2018
Nom wonder people bin them off... cheaper to get a new car...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZK_FR150

Apr 16, 2016
Depends on how much it is but as with what everyone else has said you will need to know what works been done so far, mines a 2013 and solely used on 90 mile motorway round trips since I bought it, now on about 140k.
So far I had the radiator and egr changed, clutch and flywheel just been changed along with cambelt and some other stuff so I've probably forked out about £2/3 grand on it over my ownership.
With that mileage you'd want to check if the clutch and flywheel, suspension and bushes, turbo been changed will probably have had 2 cambelt/ waterpump changes by now or may need one shortly.
You'd have to check when most of the above was done.
If it's from a main dealer and then think you get a years warranty so may be ok.

Me personally if it was just a runabout for a bit until you can order your new car, then I'd get something Jap like a Toyota for a couple of grand, cheap parts and loads of scrappies about for them and not a lot goes wrong with them and then just trade it in when time comes, might be boring or less jazzy but the money saved will be more welcome in these times.

Chlub Hibernian

Mar 7, 2017
Depends on how much it is but as with what everyone else has said you will need to know what works been done so far, mines a 2013 and solely used on 90 mile motorway round trips since I bought it, now on about 140k.
So far I had the radiator and egr changed, clutch and flywheel just been changed along with cambelt and some other stuff so I've probably forked out about £2/3 grand on it over my ownership.
With that mileage you'd want to check if the clutch and flywheel, suspension and bushes, turbo been changed will probably have had 2 cambelt/ waterpump changes by now or may need one shortly.
You'd have to check when most of the above was done.
If it's from a main dealer and then think you get a years warranty so may be ok.

Me personally if it was just a runabout for a bit until you can order your new car, then I'd get something Jap like a Toyota for a couple of grand, cheap parts and loads of scrappies about for them and not a lot goes wrong with them and then just trade it in when time comes, might be boring or less jazzy but the money saved will be more welcome in these times.

Mind reader? Decided on a wee Yaris runaround by the looks of it.

Reactions: ZK_FR150

jt20vt

Sep 17, 2010
As with all high mileage cars you need good history, a vehicle with 240k will have items that need looking at or that should have been replaced due to wear n tear. With the Alhambra I had I did cambelt n water pump every 60k, full service every 10k, and that vehicle was before dpf but apart from tyre's and brakes the car never missed a beat. I had the tiptronic box so auto which had an oil znd filter change every 60k even though seat stated it was sealed for life. So if buying high mileage I'd go with as new as possible that way the car has not had the effects of age go against it. At the end of the day it's a personal choice but as others have highlighted the car could need some major work doing in the future so factor that in when looking.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.