2018 1.4 tsi leon 'falls out of 4-5-6 gear'

Jul 25, 2022
Hey there

I have a small problem, had it for quite a while now..
It all started when i had my car tuned.
It now sometimes, not allways, need a sec or two when i slam the throttel in 4-5-6th gear, 1-2-3rd there are no problem, it just takes off.

I've had different people say different things so im not sure what to make of this.

the tuning guy said its normal, its just the exhaust burning the unused something, so therefor the car is "doing its own thing and need a sec to react"

anyone got a clue what this could be??

It is a 1.4 manual 125hk
1 test: 136hk
2 test: 176hk
Also with a Fox Sports exhaust (catback)

- A Danish guy in need of answers <3

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Hey there

I have a small problem, had it for quite a while now..
It all started when i had my car tuned.
It now sometimes, not allways, need a sec or two when i slam the throttel in 4-5-6th gear, 1-2-3rd there are no problem, it just takes off.

I've had different people say different things so im not sure what to make of this.

the tuning guy said its normal, its just the exhaust burning the unused something, so therefor the car is "doing its own thing and need a sec to react"

anyone got a clue what this could be??

It is a 1.4 manual 125hk
1 test: 136hk
2 test: 176hk
Also with a Fox Sports exhaust (catback)

- A Danish guy in need of answers <3
I can't help feeling that something is 'Lost in Translation' here, I certainly don't get 'falls out of 4-5-6 gear' or the '1 test' and '2 test' comment.

Jul 25, 2022
I can't help feeling that something is 'Lost in Translation' here, I certainly don't get 'falls out of 4-5-6 gear' or the '1 test' and '2 test' comment.
Hmm let me try this..
When i slowly roll into full throttle everything is fine. Most times if i just slam it the gear indicator dont show what gear im in and the car does not take rpm's, it needs a sec or two before it comes on.

About the test comment it is before and after it got tuned.

Hope that made a bit more sence? :)

Reactions: Walone

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
@Walone hk = hestekraft (i.e. PS)

@Tocid I assume that it’s a 6 speed DSG gearbox, and that you have a lag when under hard acceleration in 4th, 5th and 6th gears post ECU tune. From you video, that you’ve posted, it would be worth while posting the Rev and Speedo dials side by side so that you can see what is happening engine speed wise.

In addition to the hk (PS) figures, do you have any idea what torque the car is pulling across the range of engine speed? e.g. has the car been on a dyno and produced a print out?

My initial thoughts are that the torque may be exceeding the capabilities of the gearbox and thus not sufficiently clamping the clutch plates. If this is the case, my thoughts on possible fixes:

1 - DSG clutch plates worn, and require replacement.
2 - TSU tune required on gearbox, to match engine tune.
3 - ECU de-tune, matched to the capabilities of the gearbox.

Jul 25, 2022
@Walone hk = hestekraft (i.e. PS)

@Tocid I assume that it’s a 6 speed DSG gearbox, and that you have a lag when under hard acceleration in 4th, 5th and 6th gears post ECU tune. From you video, that you’ve posted, it would be worth while posting the Rev and Speedo dials side by side so that you can see what is happening engine speed wise.

In addition to the hk (PS) figures, do you have any idea what torque the car is pulling across the range of engine speed? e.g. has the car been on a dyno and produced a print out?

My initial thoughts are that the torque may be exceeding the capabilities of the gearbox and thus not sufficiently clamping the clutch plates. If this is the case, my thoughts on possible fixes:

1 - DSG clutch plates worn, and require replacement.
2 - TSU tune required on gearbox, to match engine tune.
3 - ECU de-tune, matched to the capabilities of the gearbox.
Hey
It is a manual 6 speed.
My though was that the clutch was slipping as well, i will post a rev/speedo vid later when i get off work.

Attachments

• IMG_20220725_171623.jpg
    IMG_20220725_171623.jpg
    462.3 KB · Views: 59
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.