2019 Cupra, Cupra Mode, Downshifting

FINCH

Being Nosey
Mar 15, 2010
Aberdeen
Hi,

Does anyone with this car ever experience when the car is naturally coming down the gears it feels like I have a loose engine mount. it really throws me forward when slowing down to a roundabout for example.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Hi,

Does anyone with this car ever experience when the car is naturally coming down the gears it feels like I have a loose engine mount. it really throws me forward when slowing down to a roundabout for example.

Not in auto. In manual mode however, 2nd to 1st was always a bit of a jolt. So whilst the wife was driving I watched when the car itself downshifted to 1st and it is something like 2mph.
These days I let it shift from 2nd to first itself even in manual mode, but the odd occasion I do it myself it’s something like 5mph.

zedlor

Aug 24, 2017
Warrington
I've noticed the downshifts when in Cupra mode and DSG in S it can be quite harsh, so I try not to use it and flick it to D instead. Even that in Cupra mode I can feel the downshifts much more than in any of the lower modes.

Reactions: Lmbarrett83

Bullet

Mar 1, 2019
Bedfordshire
I feel it the same, not so much an engine mount type of jolt but a much more abrupt downshift. I guess it's to give a more sporty feel and more engine braking. I tend to switch from D to S and manual as I need to depending on the corners coming up and/or mood. If the wife's in the car it's comfort mode/full auto all the way ;-)

Reactions: Woodygo

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
I complained about the same a couple of weeks ago when I took the car for service, with that particular downshift only being able to be qualified as "brutal".
Upon collection, I was told there is nothing wrong and "that downshift is a feature of the box, since it is a sports model and it has harder tolerances - they all do that"
Make what you want of it...

FINCH

Being Nosey
Mar 15, 2010
Aberdeen
I complained about the same a couple of weeks ago when I took the car for service, with that particular downshift only being able to be qualified as "brutal".
Upon collection, I was told there is nothing wrong and "that downshift is a feature of the box, since it is a sports model and it has harder tolerances - they all do that"
Make what you want of it...
Then when a mount or a bushing goes to **** it’s our fault haha

FINCH

Being Nosey
Mar 15, 2010
Aberdeen
I’m now beginning to think it was just an initial reaction. Due to the car being new and new to me my sensitivity was heightened where I thought I’d it right or not. Now I’ve had it a week I don’t tend to notice it so much. But it’s still there

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.