5 weeks in

Jun 15, 2013
Had the 1.4 TSI SE for just over 5 weeks and have clocked up just over 900 miles, hardly earth shattering. Did my first decent run on Saturday, only 120 miles thus hardly earth shattering again but it has given me a good indication of what is possible.

So far the car has indicated about 48 mpg on the dash for commuting/shopping etc. but calculations indicate this slightly optimistic, 45 mpg is probably nearer the truth, very happy with that, better than I expected.

The trip on Saturday was on mixed roads which were approximately split as follows: 28 miles on dual carriageway/motorway, light traffic. 39 miles in town, quite busy, lots of traffic lights and speed cameras. The remaining 53 miles were on decent A roads but since they were on the Derbyshire Peak they were never strait or level, the highest point according to Mr Garmin was 375m above sea level. Most of the traffic was moving at decent speeds, only had to slow for one accident (Hilux v’s HGV).

Travel time was about 3 hours thus average speed was approx. 40 mph, respectable enough I suppose when the town mileage is considered.

At the end of the trip the dash display said the average was 54.5 mpg, take off a few for the display inaccuracy and I think it did a genuine 51 mpg.

Most impressive for a 140 PS petrol and not much different to the 143 PS BMW 118D if had before it. It is also a fact that the Seat is much quicker when asked to perform.

Give it a few more miles to loosen up and take a route that is less hilly with fewer towns and close to the official combined of 54.3 mpg should be achievable.

One very happy owner.

robtheplod

I'm about 4 weeks in and have done 1,500 miles in my FR 2.0 Diesel. so far it's not as economical as my old 1.9 TDi despite me driving sedately .... hopefully this will improve...

kugaman1

Mar 6, 2013
Aberdeenshire
I'm about 4 weeks in and have done 1,500 miles in my FR 2.0 Diesel. so far it's not as economical as my old 1.9 TDi despite me driving sedately .... hopefully this will improve...

How you getting on?

Im averaging 51mpg true in mixed driving, and I tend not to hang about.

Computer indicates 53mpg, so its not far off.

Andy:D

robtheplod

I'm trying not to look too closely at mpg so far!

I am noticing the fuel tank is smaller than my 1.9????

Jun 15, 2013

Not too familiar with older Leons so stick with me.

The new FR 2.0 is 150 PS, bet the old 1.9 was less powerful than that. I have always found that a more powerful car uses more fuel regardless what the figures say.

Second thing, the new FR will have stop/start, surprised if the old 1.9 has it. Having had a car fitted with this useless feature for 5 1/2 I know it makes fek all difference in the real world but it works a treat on the official tests.

And finally the official tests, with every new car I have found my real consumption to be further away from the fictional figure as the manufacturers have learned to produce cars that produce less CO in the lab but use more fuel on the road. Stop/start is the main culprit. Not complaining though, as the CO drops so does the RFL.

My new Leon is the only car I have bought in the last 15 years that has surpassed my expectations for fuel consumption. Your new car will get better as the miles build up, I hope mune does as well but past experience shows diesels benefit more as they loosen up.

Ckpearce91

Feb 20, 2013
Milton Keynes
Not too familiar with older Leons so stick with me.

The new FR 2.0 is 150 PS, bet the old 1.9 was less powerful than that. I have always found that a more powerful car uses more fuel regardless what the figures say.

Second thing, the new FR will have stop/start, surprised if the old 1.9 has it. Having had a car fitted with this useless feature for 5 1/2 I know it makes fek all difference in the real world but it works a treat on the official tests.

And finally the official tests, with every new car I have found my real consumption to be further away from the fictional figure as the manufacturers have learned to produce cars that produce less CO in the lab but use more fuel on the road. Stop/start is the main culprit. Not complaining though, as the CO drops so does the RFL.

My new Leon is the only car I have bought in the last 15 years that has surpassed my expectations for fuel consumption. Your new car will get better as the miles build up, I hope mune does as well but past experience shows diesels benefit more as they loosen up.

I hope my diesel improves because at the moment the computer is saying I'm averaging around 41-47mpg around town and I've got 61mpg on motorways so far and I've done 1600 miles. On paper the figures should be 74 combined and 80 urban (not sure about the urban figure).

kugaman1

Mar 6, 2013
Aberdeenshire
I hope my diesel improves because at the moment the computer is saying I'm averaging around 41-47mpg around town and I've got 61mpg on motorways so far and I've done 1600 miles. On paper the figures should be 74 combined and 80 urban (not sure about the urban figure).

Dont hold your breath....the figures your getting so far seem to be about right in the real world.

Andy

weatherlight

54 mpg is good and if your tire pressures are a few psi more (instead of less), computer calculations should be very close, less than a mpg (I had around %1 difference at my first long trip). For 1.2, loaded suggested values are 35 front, 38 rear and tires say 51 psi max. So around 36 or 37 should be fine even for partial load.

During hill climbing, did your instant mpg drop as much as half? It is hard to reach official mpg with these "test cycle tuned cars", in city traffic (city traffic differs like hell and much worse than the test cycle). However I believe extra urban figures can be beaten, althoughhills and grades make that one hard as well.

Mine is at 2600km atm, I did not notice a significant drop in consumption yet, although I had the first 1600km break in period with part loads, accelerations, different revs (I did not let the dsg labor the engine). I wonder if it will get better as the drivetrain, AC etc all break in completely.

Unfortunately my car came with regular tires and 16 alloy wheels. I bet the test car had lighter 15" steel wheels with low rolling resistance ones, so perhaps I wont be able to beat official mpg for some time :(

Suicida1 Zombie

Mar 19, 2013
I have just clocked in over 6000 miles on my 150PS 2.0 TDI FR.

I have filled to the brim 16 times and per tank my true MPG has been between 38.92 (A tank that was mainly wasted on sport mode after it had started to bed in after 2000 miles and I felt safe to punish the engine some) and 50.4 per tank.

I am pretty happy with that as I am in now way delicate with my driving. When I drive to and from work (a 20-25 mile trip on town roads and dual carrigeways or all motorway) I take it easy and can get 65MPG if I am really careful on the town roads and get lucky at the lights. But over all I am pretty happy.

I reset the 'Long Term' at 2000 miles and it tells me I am getting about 45MPG 'Long term' which is about right, I will put my figures in on fuely later....

Jun 15, 2013
I reset the 'Long Term' at 2000 miles and it tells me I am getting about 45MPG 'Long term' which is about right, I will put my figures in on fuely later....

3 months in and my long term now says 50.2 mpg but in truth its near 46.5 mpg calculated using distance and fuel used. The dash display is a little bit optimistic.

Suicida1 Zombie

Mar 19, 2013
Just added all my fills to fuely and popped it in my sig, seems pretty accurate to me :-D

Doesn't seem to want to show though.....

Last edited:

Marve

Apr 20, 2013
I see your signature mate. Try F5 or deleting cookies or some other technical nonsense.

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
Is it posible to apply a correction to the readout via some secret or not so secret button pushes?