6 speed quick shift kits

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Morning all.
Been looking at short/quick shift kits on ebay for sale.
Had a search on here and seems a lot of people are happy with them.
I've noticed that most just change the part that adjusts the throw (forward and back) and not the item that adjusts the sideways movement. Anyone know the reason for this?
Does dabbling in the left to right cause problems?

Cheers in advance for your replies.

Rich

Last edited:

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
The standard 02M gear shifter throw is quite long so a little reduction is a welcome addition in opinion although it can get rather notchy if you go to far.
I have one of the cheap adjustable ones on my LCR (don't waste your money on a mega expensive branded one as they're basically all the same)
I don't feel it needs side to side reduction and I like the feel of having my gears all separate from each and not all stacked up on top of each, it's a daily driven road car after all.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Rich.T

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
What's involved in fitting them? It's been something I've wondered about for a while now, but always imagined it'd be a pain in the arse to fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
What's involved in fitting them? It's been something I've wondered about for a while now, but always imagined it'd be a pain in the arse to fit.

Very simple to swap over, sometimes they're quite tight in the shifter tower though so it's advisable to use a windscreen arm puller to pop the weighted lever off.

Also worth noting is that the adjustable pivot is a tad bigger than the stock one on some of these quick shifters as I discovered on my current one so you'll need to drill out the shift cable bushing an extra 1-2mm to accommodate it.

Be sure to do a shifter cable reset afterwards as well to make sure it's all moving smoothly.

Reactions: iammooks

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
I also have one of the ebay special short shifters fitted, easily the best few quid ive spent thus far. As thai said theyre all just a lump of alloy so the forge ones etc are way over priced.

Fitting was also a simp (like really easy). I got this one and it came with two different sized pivots.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-SH...927323?hash=item1c10dbd79b:g:Ac8AAOSwKlxeCyz-
I poached mine from a breaker so obviously it was used which would explain the different sized pivot then.

The last one I bought a few years ago only came with one though.

Last edited:

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
I've already replaced the rubber mounts on the cable bracket for solid alloy ones l and was considering the cable end ones as well.

These are similar and UK based.

https://www.darksidedevelopments.co...ium-bush-kit-for-vw-02m-02q-linkage-ends.html

I’d just come across these guys, take it they are legit! I’m looking at the gearbox shim kit from them.

How do the shifter bushes improve it? I didn’t realise you could change them

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Got the short shifter fitted (eBay £40) and works perfectly, came with 3 different spigots and easy to install.
As mentioned by Thai, cable reset is a must.

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
I went with these 3 beautiful pieces

Short shifter kit 37£

750g shift knob 27£

Short shifter triangle arm 40£

435ba1bfc880d13be52e1b8ee82c30fd.jpg

225aebbe3d26e1a3c75ab231fde49d55.jpg
d9941c1d1acbe49fb4bcc32c1cf1e6e7.jpg

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
Your car must have the worlds shortest shift with that on there lol

It’s not installed yet haha but it’s going on my track car/weekend fun car

The idea is, the short shifter makes it short, then if it’s not short enough I can adjust it with the triangle piece.

I don’t want short side to side movement because I would like to feel more which gate I’m entering to avoid mis shifting, therefore I won’t buy the side to side shortening piece.

After all this I find that even stock, the LEON gearbox (maybe more since I have a 4wd box) is rather notchy. I like notchy, but I know when you shorten the shifter it’s makes the notchiness more extreme.

To counteract the notchiness I bought the 750g weighted shifter. It’ll help smooth out the feeling since there is more momentum behind the throws.

Reactions: Rich.T

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Just fitted mine and reset the cable. Very happy but want to reduce the left to right slightly. May try modding what ive got rather than buying the item off ebay.
I'll leave it as it is for now and see how I get on.
Cheers for your input all.

Rich

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.