80 miles a day commute in a Cupra

MDBB152

Apr 29, 2022
Just wondering if anyone doing a similar commute every day - in middle of changing jobs and my daily commute is about 80-85 miles round trip, my Cupra is 4 years old and only done 25k so way below average but can’t help thinking I’ll soon be racking the miles on it so wondering whether to use it a couple of times a week and buying something like a cheap diesel to use the remainder but conscious it’s another car to tax,insure and run.
Any thoughts?

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Remember the cost of diesel is astronomical so what would you really be saving.

Probably actually nothing what with running 2 cars.

andy2max

Feb 16, 2023
I’ve just replaced my Octavia vrs diesel with a Cupra 300. I only have to commute to the office a couple of times a week with a 43 miles journey. I used to get between 45-50mpg in the Skoda and taking it easy I can get 37-40mpg in the Leon. The price difference of Tesco 99 and diesel makes the commute around £1 more with rough calculations.
I guess the bigger issue is how many miles you’re going to put on the car. Try it for a few months and if your not happy maybe buy a cheap diesel

oldglosracer

Oct 27, 2022
At 4 years old average mileage should be approx 46k miles, so I would keep it until then.
You can get late 30s mpg out of a Cupra if you take it easy.
I dont know if you can ask to work from home 1 day a week, dont know your job, but long term and with fuel prices, that sort of commute isn't sustainable, you'll be tired also, can you move?

eltawater

Full and wholesome member
May 1, 2008
Yeah, me in the "before" times, ending up covering 20k miles a year.

You'll need to get used to:
Visiting the petrol station at least twice a week.
Going for a service twice a year and considering DSG / diff fluid changes more often if you were following mileage intervals strictly.
Possibly replacing brake pads more often.
Ditto with tyres.

Really, the only variable there is switching fuel type and to be perfectly honest, diesel is hideously more expensive at the moment so it's not worth it.

It depends on whether you're used to flipping lower mileage cars every few years or enjoying them and running them for over 5 years (like me).

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Forum Sponsor
Sep 27, 2016
Hi.
If you ever needed any help with insurance for a 2nd car then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

MDBB152

Apr 29, 2022
Apologies for not coming back - all change for me again, laid off on the Friday and started a new job a week later.
closer to home than originally travelling so no massive = Happy Days.

thanks for the comments and suggestions

Reactions: mjj4 and Jay5959
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.