99 Ron Fuel

Peller

Mar 29, 2016
Edinburgh
I've kept my car topped up with Shell V-Power. Due to this mis-informed lock down, how long does the fuel last in our tanks before the fuel quality starts breaking down?

The fuel stations will start closing due to lack of demand and premium fuel maybe at risk. Not to mention 'panic' buying that will come.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

mdaw1985

Aug 3, 2008
St.Leonards, East Sussex
Im not sure about how long it will take to breakdown but on premium fuel being at riak i noticed my local tesco had no 99 ron momentum the other day when i went to fill up. I wonder if they will even bother to get more in as they probably feel 95 ron is more important to the majority of people.

R45HU

Jan 10, 2020
West Yorkshire
Im not sure about how long it will take to breakdown but on premium fuel being at riak i noticed my local tesco had no 99 ron momentum the other day when i went to fill up. I wonder if they will even bother to get more in as they probably feel 95 ron is more important to the majority of people.
That’s interesting I actually went Tesco this morning to pick up some nappies for my little nipper and thought I would fuel up whilst I was there momentum fuel was available at £1.08p per litre.

Robtt

Jan 14, 2020
North Yorkshire
We had central heating oil delivered this week. The cost of that has certainly come down which is good. Delivery driver was telling me that a huge amount of storage shoreside is being used up by aviation gasoline . Which no one wants at moment. Off Immingham (Humber Estuary) there are oil tankers wanting to berth but can’t as nowhere to put their crude oil until av gas problem sorted . That crude is worth a lot less than the crude that was used to make the av gas .So oil companies will take a big price hit on that .So a perfect storm ...hence shortage of some fuel .

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
In a former role, I was required to store vehicle fleets for months/years at a time; some of these vehicles were held in a controlled humidity environment, some inside and some outdoors.

Diesel is generally more susceptible than petrol for degrading over time (water / microbial contamination); the biofuel content has an effect, as the higher the content the higher % water.

V power is a premium fuel, with stabilisers, detergents, so will be better than standard fuels.

In order reduce the impact, keep the tank as full as possible (to reduce volume where condensation can form), and put in a garage so that the temperature range cycle day/night is smaller.

If microbial growth does appear in the fuel, there is 2 stages of filtration (1 before low pressure fuel pump and 1 before the high pressure fuel pump). Worst case these foul, and you can replace the filter.

As others have said 6 months will not create too many issues.

The bigger issue will be battery charge - use a trickle charger or run the car for 20 mins once every month.

280jl

Nov 20, 2015
Bromley
Reactions: Peller

Marko70

Jul 6, 2019
can anyone recommend a trickle charger for AGM batteries? I have several but use them on normal batteries.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
After about 6-12 months petrol will be useless i don't think your car is going to sit that long though.

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
All I know is Tesco Momentum was 101p/litre when I last filled up...

A positive in the world of negatives at least..

Marko70

Jul 6, 2019

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
If that is in the S4, I use both the +ve and -ve posts under the bonnet and have done since late 2013 with a CTEK TESTER/CHARGER thing.

Edit:- that CTEK that I have has BIKE CAR COLD RECOND settings, I just used CAR for AGM and EFB, COLD is for special AGM types.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I’ve ordered the AA battery charger. Suitable for AGM batteries, gets great reviews. Should be here any day so hopefully it works well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DW6RHN2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_giVIEbXTNEQFC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That should work for long term charging and then maintaining, but I don't believe the blurb "as used by AA patrols" - what does that bit imply, I'd doubt if any breakdown patrol needs to get a battery revived that it would stuff that charger on it and then wait for 50 or 100 hours for it to charge the battery back up.

CTEK is one of the leaders in this field but it has been said that they might now be living on their past good name, certainly CTEK which is a Swedish company, do not manufacture these chargers in Sweden, all manufacturing is done in China - but there again so do Apple!

Marko70

Jul 6, 2019
I'm not sure if my CTEK is working of not, doesn't appear to be charging above battery voltage? I have several battery chargers but regular overnight charge ones not maintenance long term ones.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I'm not sure if my CTEK is working of not, doesn't appear to be charging above battery voltage? I have several battery chargers but regular overnight charge ones not maintenance long term ones.

That CTEK is only delivering a max of 0.8amp and its maximum recommended battery capacity use is roughly 30AH for charging, and your battery will be at a guess 90AH, it can maintain that capacity of battery but like the linked AA one, it will take a very long time to fully charge a battery of that capacity.

So maybe it is protecting itself as its intended use is not with normal sized car batteries.

Edit:- you could try using one of your normal but smart chargers to get it fully charged and then swop over to the CTEK.

Reactions: Marko70

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
I have Optimate charger/testers for both my car and bike - Opt 6 for car and 4 for bike, used the brand for years, not cheap but the best never is. Bike is left connected all the time it is in the garage as it only comes out once in a while, and the battery lasted over 7 years before I reckoned It was getting a wee bit sluggish. The car gets checked every now and then in the summer (because of in daily use) but on all the time just now as working from home, battery is still fine at 6 years old on the Cupra.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Optimate were on the scene before CTEK turned up I think, back before CTEK arrived I never had any reason to buy a "good" charger, my first CTEK was bought for a couple of reasons, it was to be a battery maintenance charger for my "not used much" S4, a means to accept or reject the battery on my daughter's late 2009 Ibiza - it was a CTEK charger/tester that I first bought, soon followed by a CTEK battery analyser which is a rebranded other make that is thought to be the middle cost standard, then for a significant birthday I bought myself a CTEK charger/maintenance/support unit for when reading controller maps. I think that I've stopped buying CTEK stuff now, that last units has been handy to stuff on my wife's 2015 Polo now and again while we are locked up!

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
I had been looking for a CTEK charger - had been looking at one in Costco, but it had been out of stock for a while

Needed to buy a charger at short notice in order to replace the Cupra rear pads (electronic handbrake).

Ended up buying this one from Halfords, due to the AGM and Ah requirement of the Cupra battery.

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/b...vanced-smart-battery-charger-plus-238350.html

I purchased this with a trade card so payed a little less than list, and the unit is actually made by Ring. Quite impressed with performance, and fairly simple to use, albeit the instructions aren’t accurate.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I've never spotted any CTEK chargers being sold by Costco, I would have expected them to favour other brands being an American owned company.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members