A severe word of warning...

AdamFR1

Ibiza FR 1.4 TSi
Jul 25, 2013
Bristol
Hello peeps,

Thinking of buying a 1.4TSi Ibiza? Air on the side of caution...

After the purchase of my 2012 FR 1.4TSI in july with 3400 miles, I was brilliantly happy, however, the car has been sat at my local seat dealer on numerous occasions for around 4 weeks since purchase for high oil consumption (around 1l per 1000 miles). Having covered just 2000 miles, initially the car went in for the consumption test, which I quote from the tech I spoke to 'is far from an accurate representation'. The car was deemed within spec in the test carried out.

3 weeks later the car returns for the same issue (having driven 1000 miles and had to put 1l of oil in AGAIN) the car is now blowing dense blue smoke under acceleration after overrun periods. The car sits in the dealer for a further week, and has a modified engine breather pipe fitted. Car sent away still smoking and told to run for a further 1000 miles and check oil in the hope the oil would clear out the exhaust and cure the fault.

It didn't. The car is now having a new engine under warranty. Though Seat will not recover my oil costs, my fuel costs to the dealer an of the oil consumption tests (60 miles x2), the question has to be asked, is this acceptable that a 12 month old, 7000 mile car has to have a new engine? The whole idea of buying a new car is surely in the belief that this shouldn't happen, though with TSi units this seems a known issue (Guessing with the VW's and Skoda's too?). And lets not get on to how unhelpful Seat customer services are....

So just a warning to you guys and girls, if one is purchased without warranty, be careful, just looking out for you! It could cost a fortune! And as mine is the 2013 model (Facelifted) with a 'modified engine' that I guess Seat changed due to previous faults with the pre facelift, all may not be as trouble free with them as Seat would like to believe....

Last edited:

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
Interesting.... I was under the impression they'd sorted the oil issues with the later models, I think this is the first instance of a facelift having issues?

AdamFR1

Ibiza FR 1.4 TSi
Jul 25, 2013
Bristol
Yeah So was I, hence why I bought the facelift 2013 model. Was reading of a guy on here with a 13 plate Cupra with similar consumption, so all may not be as sorted as once thought.

spud31

Rail Zip User
Jul 14, 2011
My mates boc has just failed its 1st MOT due to hydrocarbons too high because of high oil useage.
The revised breather normally cures the issue

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.