Active Cylinder Technology

Jan 25, 2019
Hi ,wonder if anyone can help ! Do you get a sign on the dash when the car is running in Active Cylinder Technology

My Leon st has the digital dash

Cheers

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
I don't have the digital dash but an eco symbol appears on any driving data screen when it happens, if the display is set to consumption then ACT appears with a description.

At low speeds I can hear the engine shuddering and minor lurches as it engages/disengages.

Reactions: Yamyam

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
What's the difference between FR TSi ACT and FR EcoTSi in the mk3 Leon?
In a word, nothing! Our Leon ST is officially described on the order sheet as a 1.4 EcoTsi. Active Cylinder Technology is I believe the official VW description although Audi seem to call it Cylinder On Demand.

Reactions: redtee34

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
At low speeds I can hear the engine shuddering and minor lurches as it engages/disengages.

I've heard people say that before but on my car I cannot feel when it switches on and off. It's totally seamless and undetectable. With the windows down you can hear a short chirp as it comes on and off but you can't feel anything at all from inside the car.

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
I've heard people say that before but on my car I cannot feel when it switches on and off. It's totally seamless and undetectable. With the windows down you can hear a short chirp as it comes on and off but you can't feel anything at all from inside the car.
Likewise. After 20K ish miles from new the ACT on ours is still undetectable apart from the indicator light in the dash. It does seem to be one of those things that on some cars it's noticeable whilst on others it isn't. A bit like the turbo actuator rattle.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
On my 1.5 TSI i had you could tell when it engaged / disengaged ACT, you could feel it on your right foot

Yern

Apr 25, 2019
I barely notice the difference but the ECO light gives it away.

Mike the_cupra

May 29, 2020
We have an (I assume) older Polo BlueGT and you can definitely tell when it's running on 2cylinders. It sounds like it's chugging along, and I watch the MPG shoot up (with the ECO) sign. There's also an art to keeping it in 2cyl mode, before you need to put your foot down heavily again.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
What's the difference between FR TSi ACT and FR EcoTSi in the mk3 Leon?

I had the 1.0 EcoTSI in my Ibiza, and that one doesn't shut off any cylinders...however, at least according to the video, EcoTsi referrs to the car using the brakes to renerate back energy to charge the start/stop battery. Not sure about the part it says it uses the help power the car...pretty sure it wasn't a hybrid. Saying that however a lot folks who had driven the 1.4 EcoTsi ACT, and 1.5 EVo ACT, much prefered the power delivery of the 1.4, and economy was better too!

Reactions: Rooster
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.