Adjusting Steering weight with VCDS Ibiza 6J

TDCupra

Mar 4, 2004
Kent
Visit site
I've recently bought an Ibiza FR CR and the steering is so light compared to my old Leon I wanted to make it a lot heavier. After doing lots of searching I have found a mish mash of info for VW's and Skoda's but nothing for the Ibiza, but it seems to have worked for me. I'd be interested in other people's opinions if anybody else wants to try it out. It's definitely made the steering heavier!

In Vagcom (I'm using 11.11.3)
Select module 44 - Steering Assist (From Chassis tab)
Click on Code - 07

Take note of the value which is in the form of 112x1 where x is the weight setting, eg mine was set at 11221. If x is set to 1, it will be very light, if it is set to 5 it will be heavy. Replace x with the required weight - I set mine to 11241 I.E 2x more than it was.

Give it a go and report back, I'd be interested to know what people's default settings are for the different models and only change from 1-5 (you could try from 0-6 but I'm not sure 0 and 6 will work with our cars).

Let me know!

Last edited:

TDCupra

Mar 4, 2004
Kent
Visit site
I tried 11251 today and the steering was lighter, like the standard setting, so I've gone back to 11241, which is much heavier and feels more like my old Leon.

I'd be interested to see what the default reading is on a cupra / boc - anyone on here with VCDS want to volunteer?

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
I tried 11251 today and the steering was lighter, like the standard setting, so I've gone back to 11241, which is much heavier and feels more like my old Leon.

I'd be interested to see what the default reading is on a cupra / boc - anyone on here with VCDS want to volunteer?

Perhaps its the other way around - the bigger the number the more assistance.

EG 11211 is minimum assistance and 11251 is maximum assistance.

Ninja10R

Dec 20, 2010
Athens, Greece
www.trackbike.gr
My FR 1.4 Tsi also came with 11221 setting. I've changed to 11231 and the steering is heavier, i think that this is the setting that Cupras come from the factory - although I can't be sure. I Know that there is a setting for handicapped people, so maybe this is the 11251 one.

5DRBLK

Jul 20, 2013
Manchester, England
My FR 1.4 Tsi also came with 11221 setting. I've changed to 11231 and the steering is heavier, i think that this is the setting that Cupras come from the factory - although I can't be sure. I Know that there is a setting for handicapped people, so maybe this is the 11251 one.

Mine came as "10110" which threw me a little, but just worked the same, changed the "***1*" to "4" and the steering now feels how it should!!

Ahl

Jul 8, 2013
Hello folks, just to resurrect an old thread:

xxx??
10 = normal (heavy cars)
20 = Polo 9N GTI (6R GTI is 21)
30 = Komfort (heavy cars)
40 = normal (light cars)
41 = F² 5J RS
50 = Komfort (light cars)
51 = Audi 8X A1
60 = Mobility help

After trying them all I found 40 to give the least assistance to the steering.

?xxxx - seems to denote if airbags are installed or not

x??xx - seems to determine how the steering angle sensor behaves

Ahl

Jul 8, 2013
Just to add, the car came set with coding at 11221.

The codes do not seem to be in any particular order. I ran with 11220 for a long time, but find 11240 to be slightly heavier/less assisted.
I wonder if this is because they assume a non-GTI light car will have skinnier tyres and require less assistance.

I also tried changing the steering angle sensor coding (x??xxx) in order to disable the sensor and defeat the ESP, but this does not seem to work (though does make the steering a bit weird).

Ahl

Jul 8, 2013
Another resurrection after checking more settings and found one that isn't listed anywhere.

Setting 81 (code 11281 on mine) seems to give the best steering imo.

Quite heavy once over 30mph - almost feels like no assistance and you can 'feel' the front end grip or lack of a bit better. Also much less springy so it feels more stable to hold onto in bends.

The other nice thing is its actually lighter when you need it at very low speeds compared to setting 20 or 40.

Deleted member 90668

Another resurrection after checking more settings and found one that isn't listed anywhere.

Setting 81 (code 11281 on mine) seems to give the best steering imo.

Quite heavy once over 30mph - almost feels like no assistance and you can 'feel' the front end grip or lack of a bit better. Also much less springy so it feels more stable to hold onto in bends.

The other nice thing is its actually lighter when you need it at very low speeds compared to setting 20 or 40.

Excellent thank you I will try this and report back :rofl:

Big-Pete

Always on the Limit
Aug 8, 2010
gaah i need vcds and a cable,

anyone around kent available? also would like lit needles/anyother stuff these can do

Ahl

Jul 8, 2013
So did anyone like the '81' setting?

I see the latest Polo GTI can be specified with a sports pack to increase the steering weight amongst other things. I wonder if that is just this 81 setting!

Yorkie911

York
May 22, 2014
Surrey
Anyone in Surrey or surrounding area with VCDS and able to change my steering setting to 11240? Would be much appreciated and could possibly offer a cash incentive, PM me

warachito

May 24, 2013
Vagcome says
Xxx?x

1 heavy normal
2 sporty vehicle
3 heavy vehicle increased steering aid
4 light vehicle
5 increased steering aid at low speeds
6 handicap settinf heavily increased steering aid

VeeFource

Dec 5, 2014
Mine's on 81 as per Ahl's recommendation and have to say it's spot on for what I like so haven't bothered trying the other settings. Funny there's no official info on it, wonder if it's a press setting to please the hardcore petrol head journalists. Anyone else set it to this?

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.