Advanced course

Fester999

May 17, 2020
I'm about to take my IAM test on motorbikes.
It has improved my riding massively.
Has anyone done the course in a car?

Fester999

May 17, 2020
I might make enquires re the car course.
The biking one has made me better tbf.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
I might make enquires re the car course.
The biking one has made me better tbf.
I never done the car one, as the bike one which does make you a better rider also makes you a better driver if you just apply all the same tactics/lessons learned. 18 years no claims in car and 20 on bike, and no points on licence can't be bad.

Fester999

May 17, 2020
I had some bad habits to get rid of.
My 19 year old daughter wants to try pillion.
The seat on my Mt10 isn't designed for comfort, and she hasn't got any kit.
So probably won't happen.

Nozza

Feb 4, 2020
North West Kent
I passed my car Advanced Driving test back in 2002, it took me 2 years from start to finish but my then car got vandalised so it was off the road for a while, it can be done in a shorter time. I wanted to do it to improve my driving, also was hoping for cheaper insurance, but as soon as I told the insurer my car was modified they refused to insure me, however I am with them for my Leon, renewal is in September so will see how much it changes (claim due to Catalytic Converter stolen off previous car). Overall it has improved my driving, I tend to look out for a lot more things on the road now, mainly to spot potential issues with some peoples driving. As said earlier Roadcraft is a very good read to accompany the course.

Reactions: Fester999

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Anything that improves your Situation Awareness is a good thing - especially these days when it seems a lot of people seem to manage to leave their brains at home when they pick up their car keys.
I occasionally make myself do a running commentary whilst driving; it's a good exercise in polishing up your observational skills, although from the outside it probably looks like I'm chatting on the phone.:rolleyes:

Yern

Apr 25, 2019
When I took my HGV Class 1 all those years ago, anticipation was high on the training agenda. It was about anticipating what other road users in front, at sides ahead and also behind were going to do. Still do that now and it works when you can anticipate what's about to happen (most of the time!). Of course lots of drivers see no further than the front of their bonnet o_O.

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
It is amazing how an almost sixth sense develops and quite often you get a feeling about the vehicle in front/behind/along side you that is going to do something tw@ttish even before they do it.

Reactions: Nozza and Fester999

Glosphil

Nov 10, 2004
Gloucestershire
I've been an IAM member for 14 years & was an observer for 4 years. Have served on the local group's committee as Membership Secretary and Associate Coordinator. Also as Chairman for a brief period.
For the past few years the IAM insurance scheme has given me the cheapest quote. It is also a very good policy. A low premium is not the only thing I consider.