Advice on buying MK3 Leon FR

Joshua Oakes

Apr 30, 2020
Looking at a 65 plate Leon FR 2.0tdi 184 DSG, however upon inspection there is quite a lot of minor dents and scratches about the car, it also failed an MOT once for bad brake pads and discs, not sure yet on service history but waiting on finding out about this before I make a decision, how would everyone else feel about buying this car, I’ve got a feeling that it might not of been the most looked after car and maybe a bad decision in buying it? Just looking for anyone else’s options and or experiences?

Thanks, Josh.

ZK_FR150

Apr 16, 2016
Where's it from, price?, What's the mileage, have you done a full MOT history check, link with pictures?

It may help a bit more to enable people to help you with your decision with the above.

Joshua Oakes

Apr 30, 2020
D0CEEF53-7F9A-4C9B-9614-FE0FDC9CB5CA.jpeg
95A026F5-0EA4-427E-BA93-7E144C52BB4F.jpeg
C92E9BF1-4F6D-4EE9-8EEF-66F199297E3B.jpeg
79B19C4C-6731-46AA-8313-040B52B14BE9.jpeg
E2C41C10-DB7F-45ED-9F80-2A56F64429B1.png
3F041A46-D98E-4B0F-8999-015E1C8BD886.jpeg
55k miles for £10,000, which I didn’t think was a bad price but I’ve just been put off slightly by the various marks around the car.

Ive added some photos, there are some other little dents around the wheel arches on the creases etc, there isn’t many panels without a slight dent in, there’s light scratching all over too which I can look past, it’s the dents I’m not a fan of, there is also one in the passenger door where to me it looks like someone has opened a door into it in a car park or something like that.

Joshua Oakes

Apr 30, 2020
I currently do around 20-30k a year mostly motorway miles, main reason I want an automatic for when I’m stuck in traffic haha. I’m essentially after a car that can be reliable for a couple years then hopefully I stop traveling so much and I can maybe treat myself to a cupra! The car I have at the minute has had a few problems so I’m working out what might be best in the long run!

ZK_FR150

Apr 16, 2016
Unless dealers willing to sort all those out or knock a big chuck off I'd walk away.
Some of those scratches aren't buffing out, the panels need spraying.

Also as cupra14 has said you gonna be doing a lot of miles.

My personal work situation has gone from 15,000 odd miles a year to about 10 a month with the lockdown if even that, just take Mrs car and leave my in the garage.
Now my work are looking at us being permanently home based as they've realised it's convenient and doesn't make a difference where we work.
I may be looking at going petrol depending on what happens in the future.

Joshua Oakes

Apr 30, 2020
Thanks for reply! Ahh see I thought it might be like that, that’s why I think it’s priced as is, unless I’m wrong and it’s a terrible price haha. But I’m torn between it’s literally just a car to go up and down the motorway and I really don’t like a car in a **** state so not sure if I’d be happy with it. Out of curiosity getting that sort of stuff repaired would probably cost a bit at a guess?

That’s sounds awesome mate, must be happy with that outcome being able to work from home? Any idea what you fancy for next car?

ZK_FR150

Apr 16, 2016
Yeah I don't think it's a great price at all, that work is gonna cost a fair bit.
I remember buying mine from Seat.
They resprayed the front end and bonnet due to the stone chips free of charge as I said I'm not buying it otherwise, think the bill was around a grand.

You should be able to find some in much better condition for around a similar price.

If you just thinking of the car as something from going A to B then go cheap and Jap will prove more reliable, and easy to maintain for parts and cheap to service.

If you want something that has a bit of kits and drives nice and something to enjoy then hold out for one in better condition.

I'm not sure what my next one will be but it will be petrol and something with a bit more power.

Reactions: Woody_72

Alorjosh

Apr 23, 2019
East Anglia
Can bet the dealer brought for cheap and said we will need to repair all these to the seller and hoping for a quick flip.

Shame though, I love mine. There a great engine. Same as you mileage and reason why I brought one

You got any quotes from smart repairs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joshua Oakes

Apr 30, 2020
I feel like because it’s a second hand car that’s the approach the dealer is taking with it and doesn’t seem like they would be willing to fix the problems, they have already had it in body shop and repaired some scuffs and all that I’m talking about now is what remains. May be worth holding out for one similar price I just haven’t seen any around for a while is what was making me feel like it was cheaper.

Alorjosh
is the engine good for that amount of miles? Would you recommend?

no I’ve not had any quotes yet, like I say it’s more made me doubt how well the car has been looked after, I look after my cars very well so would like to buy one with the same treatment.

perryqhill

Sep 20, 2017
Doncaster
Price of 184's seems to have gone up in recent weeks/months I was surprised how much I got for mine at trade in and he's whacked a grand on it and I bet it sells looking at others listed at the moment. Stone chips are par for the course with these, but at that money I'd be expecting him to sort out some of the dents and blemishes, though most will just polish it up and whack paint fillers in so you only notice many when you get home and start washing it.

Unfortunately we live in world where not everyone gives a **** about their cars and looks after them, especially now many just get them on lease and send them back after 2/3/4 years. If it was me I think I'd be telling them to sort it / asking for a fair chunk off to make sure you can get it done yourself or probably looking elsewhere.

Alorjosh

Apr 23, 2019
East Anglia
I have never owned a seat until this one. Def buy another. It’s a great car and pulls. Especially the DSG box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joshua Oakes

Apr 30, 2020
Thanks for replies everyone, I’m glad everyone is sort of feeling the same way, thinking if they don’t do something about the damage then I’ll have to leave it and wait for another I like another time and make do with the car I have for now.

Thanks everyone, Josh.

Joshua Oakes

Apr 30, 2020
Also seems the car has only been serviced at 30k over 2 years ago so doesn’t seem like it’s been looked after that much

Rockbox

Apr 6, 2018
There's got to be better one's knocking about, less miles, better condition and cheaper.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise