advice on leon fr diesel?

taus_seat

alright

im thinking of buying a leon fr tdi with the full cupra r kit
but want to know are they any good in performance? overall they any good?

thanks

MATTCR

FR
Mar 6, 2007
UK
buttonSearch.gif
^ click that button up there

marcinPL

Leon FR with ARL engine after remap has got quite good performance. For example my Leon ( I have 4 wheels drive ) after remap was faster than Cupra R ( one quarter mile race ).

Aug 1, 2009
Hemel Hempstead
Leon FR with ARL engine after remap has got quite good performance. For example my Leon ( I have 4 wheels drive ) after remap was faster than Cupra R ( one quarter mile race ).

Yeah, but was it a stocK LCR etc etc. Its all a bit subjective really, isnt it... To the opening poster - its a bit of an open question really. What are your expectations? What have you come from? Have you got money to burn on mods etc ? If you just want a general answer, then YES. Becuase we love SEAT here :)

marcinPL

Yeah, but was it a stocK LCR etc etc. Its all a bit subjective really, isnt it... To the opening poster - its a bit of an open question really. What are your expectations? What have you come from? Have you got money to burn on mods etc ? If you just want a general answer, then YES. Becuase we love SEAT here :)

True :)

volvic

It's just water
Jun 28, 2008
House of Batiatus
a tuned tdi will surprise even a tuned lcr. obviously a seriously tuned lcr will walk away from a tuned tdi, at the end of the day it's all about how much you want to spend. either way they'll both be money pits.

a standard tdi is quick enough. a tuned tdi is even quicker :D if you're thinking of keeping it standard, i'd get the LCR, as the tdi isn't exactly quiet

marcinPL

If you buy TDI ARL engine or other and you don't remap it, oh come on it's a sin ;)

Cupra Ross

Breaks things............
May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
The FR TDi 150 ARL engine is superb until it eats its camshaft at circa 70k - 120k miles and costs you £1k+ in repairs.

I wouldn't have one in a gift but each to their own.

millsyscossie

Oct 29, 2006
Bonnie Scotland
Problem being is to remap the tdi it needs a decent clutch first

Then it all starts to be a serious money pit

As above, loads out there seem to have engine trouble

Touch wood mines is nice and quiet, just turned 48k and ive had the car since 41k, Ive actually serviced the car twice myself and it got fresh oil from dealer when i bought it but not knowing what they used etc i did it 2 days later with my own (Happier when ive personally serviced my own car) lol

Last edited:

taus_seat

Thanks for advice guys!
The reason why am thinking of getting tdi is because its more chepaer to insure and also cheaper in running the car than the lcr and plus am a young driver so insurance is quite high for me!
I would defos be getting it remaped, i know i have to change the cluth but would i need to do anything else?
I have seen a few going for about 6500 to about 7000 whats the best price to pay for a decent one?

dainott2105

mk1 Cupra and mk2 FR TDI
Nov 4, 2006
swansea
I have a FR TDI mate (well its the missus) and go well if a bit noisy compared to the 1.9 diesel engine (2.0 in the FR). Decent on juice (dont expect it to be doing 70 mpg especially if your gunning it!).
Ride is VERY harsh and if your gonna buy one first thing is change the suspension!
Overall they are plenty quick enough standard for most and very well spec'd for the money compared to the golf and much better looking if you ask me.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.