Advice please, blown turbo

aka_dk

Hello all

I would really appreciate some advice from you experienced people!

My Cupra 2004 recently blew its turbo

The car is currently at AMD Essex for repair

The old turbo has been inspected and is not salvagable

A new turbo is £1000 + fitting etc

I can't afford to spend that so need some advice on where to obtain a 2nd hand refurbed turbo?

Any help would be appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 8, 2011
Essex
Hello all

I can't afford to spend that so need some advice on where to obtain a 2nd hand refurbed turbo?

A grand for a turbo?!? They're having laugh mate! Jesus a Lancer Evolution IX turbo which will make 360-400 bhp is only 900 quid new.

dandanibiza

May 7, 2012
Hello all

Have a look on ebay mate, theres a few reputable sellers on there that sell new turbo's for £250-300 and then find someone that'll do the fitting, not exactly sure how long itll take but thats got to be alot cheaper.

aka_dk

Thanks for the replies so far

Yes I thought £995 for a new turbo was steep and that's EXCLUDING fitting as I checked that with AMD

Tbh I'm thinking of taking the car somewhere else as they don't seem too helpful and cannot help me source another turbo other than their £1k option

Are there any recommended repairers? I'm in London /Milton Keynes

Can anyone confirm the part number of the OEM turbo

Many thanks
David

Aug 8, 2011
Essex
Thanks for the replies so far

Yes I thought £995 for a new turbo was steep and that's EXCLUDING fitting as I checked that with AMD

Tbh I'm thinking of taking the car somewhere else as they don't seem too helpful and cannot help me source another turbo other than their £1k option

Are there any recommended repairers? I'm in London /Milton Keynes

Can anyone confirm the part number of the OEM turbo

Many thanks
David

I'm new to the Seat scene and as such cant really comment on where or who to take the car to. But I think you ought to rule A M D out. So far an unreasonable quote and unsatisfactory customer service would put me completely.

dandanibiza

May 7, 2012
I'm new to the Seat scene and as such cant really comment on where or who to take the car to. But I think you ought to rule A M D out. So far an unreasonable quote and unsatisfactory customer service would put me completely.

Yeah I wouldnt get it done there mate, heard some bad reviews about them and about their customer service not being exactly welcoming or gracious shall we say, I've personally been there and can pretty say for sure that ill be looking for somewhere else to go.

Like I said, best bet is getting a turbo off ebay and getting a reputable garage to fit and set up.

All the decent turners are far for me to get to as Im in the Essex area as well, shame really as the likes of jabba would be an ideal place to go to.

Last edited:

knight85

Money spending clown
Dec 30, 2008
South East
hi just my 2p....

the turbo on my car went a few months back

I got a reconditioned turbo for approx £300 - in return for my old buggered one - a new oil feed pipe asnd associated gaskets came to £50 - new oil and oil filter about £30 then I got it fitted fro £200 - came to just under £600 in total

try and do it in sepereate bits - I.e. labour and parts sepereately...it saved me loads

aka_dk

hi just my 2p....

the turbo on my car went a few months back

I got a reconditioned turbo for approx £300 - in return for my old buggered one - a new oil feed pipe asnd associated gaskets came to £50 - new oil and oil filter about £30 then I got it fitted fro £200 - came to just under £600 in total

try and do it in sepereate bits - I.e. labour and parts sepereately...it saved me loads

Thanks dude

Got another quote from VAGtech in MK for a exchange unit from VW, £1,200 all in fitted

Still to much

Anyonegot the part number?

Aug 8, 2011
Essex
Thanks dude

Got another quote from VAGtech in MK for a exchange unit from VW, £1,200 all in fitted

Still to much

Anyonegot the part number?

Dude, that's way too much still. There's bound to be others that'll do it way cheaper. Conatct ALL the tuners in the south and Midlands if you have, in fact private message other members. Twelve hundred quid fitted is a sh*t load of cash for a puny OEM turbo.

God damn, a Turbo Techincs hybrid ST 205 for my Evolution IV was only £1400 for the turbo brand new and that made 480-520 bhp!!!!

aka_dk

Yep I agree mate

But need the oem part number?????

Anyone?????

Apr 12, 2010
Dude, that's way too much still. There's bound to be others that'll do it way cheaper. Conatct ALL the tuners in the south and Midlands if you have, in fact private message other members. Twelve hundred quid fitted is a sh*t load of cash for a puny OEM turbo.

God damn, a Turbo Techincs hybrid ST 205 for my Evolution IV was only £1400 for the turbo brand new and that made 480-520 bhp!!!!

and? Its not generally the size/power output that makes a difference to the cost. The pd turbo has an integral manifold and is vnt whereas the evo turbo is conventionally wastegated (if i remember) and has a seperate manifold. Have you tried midland turbo for a replacement?? They're usually quite reasonable.

Aug 8, 2011
Essex
and? Its not generally the size/power output that makes a difference to the cost. The pd turbo has an integral manifold and is vnt whereas the evo turbo is conventionally wastegated (if i remember) and has a seperate manifold. Have you tried midland turbo for a replacement?? They're usually quite reasonable.

...and the stresses/tolerances on a the Evolution IX turbo which creates 360-400 bhp are greater than that of OEM Ibiza Cupra. Ok the extra engineering of the integral manifold certainly doesn't help but either way £1200 is boll*cks! Pricey VAG parts I reckon.

aka_dk

Yep this is what I'm thinking

Still no part number??

AMD seem to be very good at ignorning my request for it

The longer this goes on the closer I'm getting to having to bite the bullet