Air Conditioning

M1C VX

Mankymic
Jan 23, 2008
Glasgow. Drives 07 Cupr
I bought a leon cupra and the air con was crap, i went to kwik fit for a re-gas

they said its full to the correct pressure but its not cold enough

when the air con is on the revs change so I imagine its turning on.
there are no leaks

any ideas, do i need a compressor

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
The compressors fitted to these are crap and fail at regular interval, so that's your worse case scenario. As above you really need VCDS hooked up to investigate a bit. See if any fault codes on the module are stored and check the measuring blocks.

Tom0S

Jul 7, 2014
Chelmsford, Essex
Any news on this?

I have a '07 MK2 Leon 2.0 TFSI FR, on Friday (the hottest day so far!) my A/C stopped working!
I'm certain that it had been working perhaps two weeks before this but I've recently just been having the windows down.

~ First thing was to get it re-gassed and leak tested on Saturday morning- £50 @ halfords.
This didnt fix it - the mechanic said that it only had 100g of gas - supposed to have 525g.
He'd filled to the correct amount and still not working, no leaks. He reckoned that the compressor was knackered but quoting around £500 for the part!

~ Anyway, next port of call was to visit a friend who has a Ross-Tech VAGCOM tool.
No errors stored.
You can hear the engine lug down when A/C is turned on.
All sensors looked to be reading correctly when checked on the measuring blocks.

The only thing perculiar was that a % specified value for a fan was requesting around 19% when the actual was none, and another reading for the torque load on the compressor was low.
I know this is a bit useless but, after about 40mins of messing around with the diagnostics, it all worked fine, but we changed nothins.
The air started to blow cold and the load on the compressor went to 6-7 Nm and the % values for the fan started to match - I assumed that the low gas and the hot weather must've jammed up the compressor and the right amount of gas had unjammed it but..

It worked for a day and a half and now nothing again.

My friend with the Ross Tech tool is now away for a week but I dont suppose anyone has any bright ideas as to what it could be, Im assuming not the compressor as it did work, theres no leaks, its gassed up, all the temp sensors seem to be working.

Next I'll check the power to the compressor, and investigate the fans as we noticed this change.

If anyone has any ideas let me know,
Thanks.

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
AC issues are very difficult to diagnose unfortunately. You can get the compressor cheaper than £500 but even then that's still not guaranteed to fix it.

Have you checked the G65 high/ low pressure switch? That can fail/ leak out gas. Quite cheap to replace if necessary.

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
Compressor failure is easy to check providing you have the right equipment. A good set of gauges or a decent A/C machine is well worth the money as the pressure differences give all the details you'll need.

Tom0S

Jul 7, 2014
Chelmsford, Essex
Yep so was the compressor. :(

I got hold of a G65 switch off Amazon for £15 brand new denso part, this didn't fix it but, I thought worth a chance for £15! and the shrader valve meant that I'd be able to change it myself. N.B swopping it on these is a lot easier if you have a set of crows feet!

anyway all fixed now!

FlameRevenge

Oct 14, 2011
Crewe Cheshire
www.youtube.com
Same thing happened to me on my seat leon fr 170 cr, it had no leak, had gas yet it was not cold, so I bought another compressor from scrap yard for £85 instead of brand new from seat for £500+ vat, had it fitted and regased for £150 now it works perfectly well, I hope this helps

CTID

Apr 1, 2013
Should really be addressed by VW. Compressors are absolute garbage on anything VAG around the PQ35 platform.

Joshkcupra

Local Retard
Aug 21, 2012
Gravesend, Kent
My Cupra seems to just constantly pump hot air into the cabin when the aircon/heating is turned off.. I'll be driving down the motorway with melted shoes, it's so bloody annoying!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.