Air Filter Shape

• Thread starter Deleted member 120738
  • Start date

Deleted member 120738

I am contemplating replacing the air filter in our 1.2 TSi Ibiza FR with a K & N one and It looks like SEAT changed the type from a drum shaped one to a flat panel one sometime in 2015. Does anybody have the VIN/engine number when it was changed?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I'm seriously not wanting to trash your logic or plans, but VW Group cars tend to have no issues with the factory supplied air filter design, any change will have been made only when the engine type changed, so it sounds like the chain cam driven engine had one type of air filter and the belt driven cam engine had the flat panel type filter, so it is an engine type change that will have prompted an air filter design I'd think.

I've only ever bothered to change to K&N once, and that was with a Ford maybe 1600cc cross flowed engine, and I was quite young at the time, I m now old and run an Audi S4 that still have its original Mann drum style of filter and don't feel the need to move to any other design of air filter.

Deleted member 120738

What confused me was that on the K & N website and others it stated that the the flat panel one was for cars built from 05/2015 and the drum shaped one was for cars built up to 04/2015. Our car has the drum shaped filter and the reason for changing it is that K & N have a 10 year/million mile warranty and it is a cheaper and far more environmentally friendly option to not to have to throw away the old air filter even if I clean the K & N one every year. and hopefully it may give me a few more MPG!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members