Alhambra Tailgate

Lewrialie

Hi. I wonder if anyone can help me. I have a 1999 Alhambra TDi and I am unable to open the tailgate. If I try the key in the tailgate lock it locks/unlocks all the doors but still the tailgate won't open. Any ideas what the problem might be or if I can open the tailgate somehow from inside.

julian2002

has it opened fine in the past?
try just holding the handle open for a bit - there is (i believe) a security feature which delays opening after you 'plip' the car open. mine can take up to 5 seconds to realise i want to get into the back (sometimes i even have to lock and unlock it to get it to realise).
bloody annoying imho.

100andthirty

Mar 19, 2004
try turning the key a little further - operates the lock manually rather then electrically. This is from the manual - haven't had to use it myself

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
My dads bammer did a very similar thing. The "pins" in the lock had fallen out of sync so it had to be stripped and put back together

when you operate the central locking from either the doors or the hatch lock can you hear the locking motor in the hatch operating? if not it sounds like you have lost power to the hatch lock! or the micro switch in the hatch has failed/fell off?
the hatch lock is eleletrical operated lock the pull handle operates a switch which tells the lock to operate so a loss of power to it will mean it will not operate :(
on Mk1's there is a relay under the passenger seat that provides power to the rear hatch and fuel flap lock, if your fuel flap still locks then you have power to this circuit, and the loss is most likely due to break in the cables to the rear hatch in the rubber bellows, in order to find the fault or fix it you need to remove the hatch internal trim to operate the lock manually so you can open it to check the wires or to get to the micro switch!
either way your up for a fun filled week end :blink: good luck :)

Lewrialie

Thanks for both responses. Have tried both suggestions without success. Have had the car for over three years and it has worked fine up until about three weeks ago. Any other suggestions gratefully received. Thanks again.

Lewrialie

Sorr, didn't see Fredts response before posting my initial reply. Have tried the first two suggestions without success. Have had the car for over three years and it has worked fine up until about three weeks ago. Thanks Fredt for your advice. No, I can't hear the locking motor in the hatch operating and yes the petrol cap lock still operates. Guess then I have to remove the internal trim. Is this possible to do without damaging the trim if the tailgate can't be opened? Thanks again for your advice. :shrug: :shrug:

yes it is possible to remove the majority of the hatch trim to gain access to the locking mech without breaking it, BUT ! IIRC there are two screws on the lower/bottom outer edge of the hatch and two more holding the internal pull handle recess in place! so you will have to unclip the trim from around the bottom of the rear screen and pull it away from the hatch far enough to give you room to reach in and manually trip the locking mech! it can be be done :) but it's a fiddly operation and could result in blood loss on your behalf :blink: Ihave have done it a couple times on vehicles in breakers yards while gutting them for parts :D when either the battery is missing or there are no keys for the car :( Ifind dropping a good torch into the hatch gives you enough light to see what your doing as you will only have enough space for one arm to with inside the trim panel or you may damage it! good luck and top up on sticky plasters before you start :D