Alhambra TDI start problem-help.

Neil420

1 st time caller so I hope this is the right forum.

1997 Seat Alhambra tdi [90bhp]

Had a new starter motor fitted by a shady garage, yes I know should have gone to the dealers, but:

Cold start it takes 10 secs to fire up, warm 5 seconds?

Even if turned off for a matter of seconds it still takes 5 seconds of turnover to start up, this fault has only recently developed.

So far I have spent £200 and had:
new fuel filter and valve
timing belt checked
injectors and pump cleaned
new glo plugs.

No change, literally!

Do these vehicles have a priming pump as I cant hear one?

There is a fuse for a fuel pump but it's a dead socket????

A Seat mechanic reckons this model doesn't have a fuel pump?

Can anybody help me please?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Hi

It should have a fuel pump!

There will be a bleed valve 'somewhere' near the engine, I bet you've just got an air bubble in the line. FInd this and have the ignition on so all the dash lights come on & open it (not for long!) and it'll purge all the air out.

redcupratdi

Offical SCN Pole Dancer
Oct 13, 2005
cambridge
you had all the things changed that i would suggest!

there is a really good tdi forum, post on there and you'll get a reply in minutes and some deep knowelege of tdi on there as well.

www.tdiclub.com

or there is a few on here may be some help of course

have you got the dealer to scan for faults?

Neil420

Glo plugs working ok.

It's as though fuel is draining from the filter somehow, I can't see or hear any leaks, it's strange because even if I turn the engine off for a few seconds it still takes the 5 seconds to start.

Before the new starter motor was fitted I seem to recall a 'whirring' sound that lasted about 3-4 seconds when the ignition went on.

Does your's do this?

Like some sort of priming sequence within the system?

I am perplexed as are the Seat people who would gladly just replace everything at £55 an hour till they sort it!:help:

Neil420

Can't be air in the system, I had to do a 120 mile trip last night and it went fine. It must be electrical?

I don't get that whirring when the ignition goes on now, I am wondering if dodgy garage have shorted something out when they fitted the starter motor as it was fine till then? :shrug:

Neil420

Latest theory:

Cos all the problems started when I had the new starter motor fitted, can anybody tell me where the flywheel sensor is on a 19tdi Bammer?

Crank shaft position sensor, mounted on the front left hand side of the block next to the bell houseing, held in place by two bolts, should have a a resistance reading (OHMS) 1000-1500 if the reading is outside of this range then it's possibly duff :confused: and your mechanics right about the fuel pump, it's a mechanical pump mounted on the engine
just an idea petrol versions are prone to a dodgy relay that can cause starting problem! relay 20? 30? maybe worth a look? also check the stop solenoid operation? it can cause bad starting if this plays up?