Altea FR

Lem

Anyone know if this thing is available to order in the UK yet? I'll be looking to order this month.

..and is the sat nav any good? Does it cover europe, or is it UK only?

loadswine

loadswine
I'm running mine with a similar output with no problems. I have heard that some DSG boxes are coping with somewhat larger power and, more importantly torque outputs. It's the torque that is close to the limit , as the DSG copes with a lot more power with the 3.2 litre petrol engines.
What actually happens when the limit is reached, I don't know for sure. Standard quoted figures for the FR would not be an issue, but VAG have a habit of under rating the output of their TDis, plus tuning options might go beyond the factor of safety that they must build in.

Tell

Staff member
Snapped is what happens. I have been of the view that the standard TDI 2.0 if under rated must be getting close to 170 BHP, that's only 30 more than it's got standard. They would bang the DSG gear box into the FR if they thought it could take it, I would argue that one myself.

I assume that the gear box between petrol and diesel engines is different and the current one for the 2.0 litre diesel is rated for that power output. Oh well.

Lem

My local dealer is taking orders for FR's. No confirmation on final price yet though!
They did also ask whether it was the 170Tdi or the 200TFsi I was after.. so I assume the petrol one isn't far away.

MSV User

loadswine said:
Always wise to have a serious test drive, the longer the better. I would imagine the Altea Sport seats might be a bit restrictive for some. Mind you , very good at holding you in place on brisk corners.:)

Im 6'5" average(17st) build and I think they are really comfortable.

Ade

SixDegrees

Tell said:
Yes you are not suppose to push the engine above 170 BHP with the DSG, VW have warned so the FR and tuning options of the standard 2.0 TDI is running close to the limits of the box as is.

Its not the HP but the torque that was giving DSG some problems. Its the same DSG that is found on all VAG cars and can handle 250hp no probs, but with a 170hp TDi you have 258lbs of torque and this was the potential cause of problems.

From memory Tuners have up power on DSG cars to 300hp and over 300lbs of torque without problems but theres is a risk taht if yuo get into these figures the the 'cleverness' of the DSG can be compromised.

:)

SixDegrees

Tell said:
Thanks for that... think I'll leave mine alone since I can get wheel spin from a standing start as it is....

Aye, no need to add to 170hp and 260lbs of torque TDi..... oh, and just a wee side note, most VAG diesels (on avergae) produce more HP / LBS than the book figures. Seems they leave the factory that way on most occasions.

:)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.