Altea Retro fit RNS 315

alteastu

Just bought a 2005 Altea 1.9tdi stylance and want to remove the ugly stereo dash unit and replace with an RNS-315.

I've searched this site and found some info to do this for a MK2 leon, will this be the same for my 05 Altea?

Is there anything I need to be aware of before I buy a second hand RNS 315 unit from ebay with code and antenna, will it be plug and play or is some modding needed?

Thanks

mungomole

Jul 29, 2013
I have just fitted a ebay satnav dvd to my freetrack and it is excellent. I also have a rear view camera. I was able to get the surround from my local seat dealer and it matches the rest of the freetrack dash perfectly.it also conects to the rear screen to show a dvd whilst the head unit shows the satnav screen. I willpost some pics when I can

H & H 2.3

Jun 20, 2004
Newcastle
I have just fitted a ebay satnav dvd to my freetrack and it is excellent. I also have a rear view camera. I was able to get the surround from my local seat dealer and it matches the rest of the freetrack dash perfectly.it also conects to the rear screen to show a dvd whilst the head unit shows the satnav screen. I willpost some pics when I can

Definitely interested in seeing this - sounds like just what I want for my Freetrack

mungomole

Jul 29, 2013
I fitted it my self. The old head unit is a bit of a job to get out. The new one came with a quad lock wireing harnes that fitted straight onto the existing harness. There were inputs and outputs for rear view camera and rear passenger screen.
The rear cam was also from eBay and it is one that replaces one of the number plate lights so you end up with a number plate light with a small camera attached. I think I have to do a few more posts before I can post any pictures

Apr 4, 2011
woodford green
I fitted it my self. The old head unit is a bit of a job to get out. The new one came with a quad lock wireing harnes that fitted straight onto the existing harness. There were inputs and outputs for rear view camera and rear passenger screen.
The rear cam was also from eBay and it is one that replaces one of the number plate lights so you end up with a number plate light with a small camera attached. I think I have to do a few more posts before I can post any pictures

be good to know how you get on with the camera as this is something i want to do , did you have to tap into the reversing light wireing or does the canbus sort it ?

thanks

mm

mungomole

Jul 29, 2013
My freetrack has a tow hitch so the power for the camera is tapped into that wiring. Forgot to mention the new head unit also has a cambus unit on it. It can detect when the car is put into reverse gear even when the head unit is off, the screen will come on with the rear view picture.

skard

Dec 29, 2011
UK
I've had a reversing camera for a couple of years on the Altea.

It gets fed power from my Zenec stereo, so a 12v, ground and video cable run under the carpet to the boot area, & switches on/off automatically with reverse gear.

Some stereos seem to just require the video feed, and power can be taken from elsewhere (such as Kenwood DNX520VBT I am sure).

camera_zpsc91cd13b.jpg

Last edited:

mungomole

Jul 29, 2013
The one I purchased is from a-sure tech on ebay. I am unable to post the link i'm too new. watch the price as it tends to go up and down.I got mine for £239 which is the cheapest ive seen it. Its the one that has windows phone style icons.

cadman2k

Jul 15, 2003
Visit site
head unit

The one I purchased is from a-sure tech on ebay. I am unable to post the link i'm too new. watch the price as it tends to go up and down.I got mine for £239 which is the cheapest ive seen it. Its the one that has windows phone style icons.

Cannot find that user, can you post a typical item number and will track it from that?

Devoured1

Oct 17, 2012
Wirral
I so want one of those units, the description of them on ebay sounds really good, wouldn't know which one to go for and I'd need someone to fit it for me as I wouldn't be confident enough to do it myself....the biggest stumbling block tho would be the money, just can't justify spending £300+ on something like that at the moment :-(

skard

Dec 29, 2011
UK
Usually people are happy with the Chinese units for the few months they work without issue.

My mate is selling a Kenwood DNX520VBT (boxed etc) for a bit more than these units and there is no comparison.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.