Any experts with PD engines still on here?

Feb 18, 2019
I have an on going issue with my PD160 which is driving me crazy, seems pretty quiet on this forum now but wondering if there's still any wizards on here that can help?

mjstokes85

Diesel Power
Nov 14, 2005
Long Eaton
What's the issue? I'm not expert but you never know it could be an issue someone else has had and knows the solution to.

Feb 18, 2019
What's the issue? I'm not expert but you never know it could be an issue someone else has had and knows the solution to.
So I bought the car a few years ago and it came remapped to around 200hp on the standard turbo. It had always made a siren noise but performed well apart from sometimes not boosting in lower gears from low rpm, eventually it started overboosting in higher gears and going into limp mode so I decided I may aswell upgrade the turbo.

I purchased a ball-bearing GT1856, the company I planned to install and remap it ran into some problems saying when they put it on the Dyno after installation it was only making 125hp and they couldn't figure out what was wrong.

After some deliberation I decided just to pick it up from them instead of having them aimlessly start replacing parts and my bill going through the roof.
I took it easy driving it home as the new turbo was still on the old map but even then I could tell it was making more than 125hp so I was a bit puzzled.

A week or so later and the car failed it's MOT due to an oil leak from turbo area, fearing the worst I took it to a company near by that has experience fitting turbos and remapping them, luckily it was just the oil return valve that needed replaced. At this point I asked the garage to run it on their rolling road to see what it was putting out. It made an easy 200hp and 320lb/ft. Realising there might not actually be a problem after all I asked them to remap it for me, a few days later I was over the moon when they told me it had made 256hp and 360lb/ft.
When I collected it and drove it home the car felt ridiculously fast and was like a different car with so much top end power compared to the old turbo. Unfortunately after a few miles when putting my foot down in 5th it seemed to struggle slightly compared to the lower gears, at first I put this down to the later power delivery of the bigger turbo but then a few miles later when doing the same thing it cut all power and went into limp mode.
Luckily I'd just purchased VCDS so could scan for the fault - P1556 Charge pressure control - negative deviation came up meaning the car wasnt hitting requested boost. A few people advised it could be vacuum related so I've swapped the vacuum box with a new N75 valve and used a new hose going to the turbo, I've also done a full EGR delete and new 90 degree elbow pipe. I've checked the actuator hold vacuum aswell. Starting to run out of ideas if anyone can advise what else I could check?

Sorry for the long post.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Have you uprated the MAP sensor?

Think you might need a 4 bar MAP sensor.

Also check all intercooler pipework

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Actuator has a full range of motion? Nothing silly like the arm got bent or the wastegate is sticking?

Feb 18, 2019
As an update to this I had a tuner from Finland look at my map file and he said it was one of the worst he'd seen, he gave me a new map and the car is driving alot better however now it's overboosting and spiking to 2.7 bar so looks like I have a hardware issue somewhere.

Rioja Cupra

Sep 11, 2016
So I bought the car a few years ago and it came remapped to around 200hp on the standard turbo. It had always made a siren noise but performed well apart from sometimes not boosting in lower gears from low rpm, eventually it started overboosting in higher gears and going into limp mode so I decided I may aswell upgrade the turbo.

I purchased a ball-bearing GT1856, the company I planned to install and remap it ran into some problems saying when they put it on the Dyno after installation it was only making 125hp and they couldn't figure out what was wrong.

After some deliberation I decided just to pick it up from them instead of having them aimlessly start replacing parts and my bill going through the roof.
I took it easy driving it home as the new turbo was still on the old map but even then I could tell it was making more than 125hp so I was a bit puzzled.

A week or so later and the car failed it's MOT due to an oil leak from turbo area, fearing the worst I took it to a company near by that has experience fitting turbos and remapping them, luckily it was just the oil return valve that needed replaced. At this point I asked the garage to run it on their rolling road to see what it was putting out. It made an easy 200hp and 320lb/ft. Realising there might not actually be a problem after all I asked them to remap it for me, a few days later I was over the moon when they told me it had made 256hp and 360lb/ft.
When I collected it and drove it home the car felt ridiculously fast and was like a different car with so much top end power compared to the old turbo. Unfortunately after a few miles when putting my foot down in 5th it seemed to struggle slightly compared to the lower gears, at first I put this down to the later power delivery of the bigger turbo but then a few miles later when doing the same thing it cut all power and went into limp mode.
Luckily I'd just purchased VCDS so could scan for the fault - P1556 Charge pressure control - negative deviation came up meaning the car wasnt hitting requested boost. A few people advised it could be vacuum related so I've swapped the vacuum box with a new N75 valve and used a new hose going to the turbo, I've also done a full EGR delete and new 90 degree elbow pipe. I've checked the actuator hold vacuum aswell. Starting to run out of ideas if anyone can advise what else I could check?

Sorry for the long post.
I had P1556 Charge pressure control - negative deviation too.
After a lot of head scratching and wasted time, it was the camshaft wear.
Whip off the cam cover and have a look. PDs eat camshafts due to, I believe, the narrow lobes needed to fit in the injector cams.
PD160 is standard apart from Darkside Developments intercooler due to the original one falling apart at the seams.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members