Any short term insurance for modded cars? Also selling/test drive question.

Malice19

.:Cupra 4 The Win:.
Mar 16, 2006
Swindon
Hi All

So Im looking to sell my beloved mk1 LC, as its too bloody expensive to insure as a 2nd car and now have a newer mk3 as main car. Only problem is that i need to put it in for an MOT to show its all safe and working but as its SORN at the moment i need to drive it to MOT centre, but to do this am i right that i can drive to MOT centre without TAX as long as its there and straight back as long as it passes, but need to have it insured before moving it off the drive onto public roads?

Was looking at getting it insured but as you can't use your NCB on a 2nd car (which i think is mad and a great way for insurance company make more money) and with it being modded the quote i was getting was unreal.

Looked at temp insurance but non of them will insure modded car that i could see?

So what are my options apart from getting it transported on a trailer to MOT Centre?

Also what happens when i go to sell it and the buyer wants to test drive? Would there insurance cover it third party so i would just need to make sure it is TAXed?

Thanks for your time and help.

Hawkers

Nov 7, 2015
Norwich, UK
It needs to be taxed if it's on the road and not SORN, MOT and Tax are different things. Needs to be insured if driven on the road, what if someone hits you on the way to the centre?

MOT

The only exceptions are to drive it:

• to or from somewhere to be repaired
  • to a pre-arranged MOT test
Won't your current insurance allow you to add on another car for temp use? The buyer would need to arrange some cover, not all policies allow you to drive other cars on third party also.

Malice19

.:Cupra 4 The Win:.
Mar 16, 2006
Swindon
It needs to be taxed if it's on the road and not SORN, MOT and Tax are different things. Needs to be insured if driven on the road, what if someone hits you on the way to the centre?

MOT

The only exceptions are to drive it:

• to or from somewhere to be repaired
  • to a pre-arranged MOT test
Won't your current insurance allow you to add on another car for temp use? The buyer would need to arrange some cover, not all policies allow you to drive other cars on third party also.

Yes, i might have worded that a bit wrong, Its SORN and not on main road but on a private drive. Current insure is pants and wont insure my modded car. Love my old leon but trying to insure it with mods has always been a ball ache and even more so now i can't use any NCB on it.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members