Anyone changed the gearbox oil on EA288 engine with the six speed box?

Woody_72

May 10, 2020
Northwest England
Thinking about changing the gearbox oil over the holidays for something to do. I'm happy with which oil it requires but is the drain and refill itself the usual 'drain and the refill 'til it starts coming out the fill hole' stuff? TIA.

SEAT Rule

Nov 19, 2019
Thinking about changing the gearbox oil over the holidays for something to do. I'm happy with which oil it requires but is the drain and refill itself the usual 'drain and the refill 'til it starts coming out the fill hole' stuff? TIA.

Hello there,

Mr Paddy6789 uploaded workshop manuals in PDF format for the Leon MK3 (Leon MK3 official SEAT workshop manuals link)
They're in the resources section his post is on page 5 I think.
Paddy6789 has uploaded other manuals for electronics, steering, suspension, bodywork, brakes, all for the MK3 Leon.

I've had a quick read of the manual files for the 6 speed boxes, one is the 02S gearbox which is file D4B802C0B70
pages 186 and 239.
This box is manual transmission 6 speed, states that regarding gear oil change you can't really use the oil filler hole, as the tilt of engine/gearbox is at a slight angle, resulting in normal gear oil level sitting lower then the lower part of threads in oil filler hole, so it'll be over filled if you go by oil trickle from filler level hole.
The manual states with the 02S gearbox it can only be refilled correctly, if the old oil is drained into a 3 litre measuring jug/bucket, to ensure you refill correct amount with new oil.
This is because of the tilt the running gear sits at which makes the normal oil level sit much lower than the oil filler level plug hole, according to the PDF manual.

Regarding the gear oil capacity for this 02S box, all the manual states is the following = if gearbox has been fully striped down and fully rebuilt, use 2.3 litres of gear oil.
If gearbox has partly been striped and repaired, use 2.1 litres of gear oil.
That's all the manual says regarding refilling with new oil.
So I think 2.0 litres max for a gear oil change, anymore and it'll be overfilled according to the manual. And it can't run/trickle out of the oil filler level plug hole, the normal level has to be under/lower then the oil filler level hole, for correct healthy running of gearbox.
To refill the PDF manual says can remove reverse light switch at box selector tower, but I would have thought you can refill via the filler plug hole, depending on excess as running gear is at a tilt so might be gearbox mount in the way ??

02S gearbox codes MK3 Leon:
NBJ, QSZ, QXH, RSW,
1.4 TSI with 147 bhp

RMH, TJW,
1.5 TSI engine 147 bhp

NBH, QBN, QWZ, RSN,
1.8 TSI engine 180 bhp

PTW, QVX, RSD,
1.6 TDI engine 108 bhp

The other gearbox is the 0AJ box which again is manual transmission 6 speed,
but this box you are ok to check & refill using the oil filler level hole, as the running gear sits more level according to the PDF manual.
This PDF manual file is D4B802C0BA3
pages 145 and 146

0AJ gearbox codes MK3 Leon:
MUF, PRL,
1.2 TSI engine 103 bhp & 1.4 TSI with 123 bhp

QGG, REK, SEE,
1.0 TSI engine 114 bhp

SEH,
1.0 TSI engine 114 bhp

RGB,
1.2 TSI engine 108 bhp & 1.4 TSI with 123 bhp

SEL,
1.5 TSI engine 129 to 134 bhp

Oil filler plug / oil drain plug that are female multipoint hex plugs, torque setting is 25 Nm (18.4 ft-Ib)

Single female hex filler / drain plugs, torque setting is 30 Nm (22.1 ft-Ib)

Hope this helps
Si

Reactions: Woody_72

Woody_72

May 10, 2020
Northwest England
Brilliant Si, Cheers for the heads up! Your post doesn't mention the 2.0 TDI but you've told me where to look and I'll study the PDF later on today ??.

SEAT Rule

Nov 19, 2019
Brilliant Si, Cheers for the heads up! Your post doesn't mention the 2.0 TDI but you've told me where to look and I'll study the PDF later on today ??.

No worries like I say I only had a quick look at some of the PDF files, sorry mate it's not page 5 think it's page 4 the 9th thread/post down from top, that Paddy6789 made.
Click on that and it should show 3 links.
Top and middle links are for the MK3 Leon, I looked in the top link and the gearbox info I found in their, well some of it anyway as there are loads of different workshop manuals there.

The bottom link is for all other SEAT models from 1984 onwards up to 2019 or 2020 I think.

I've just had another look in the top link and found this info below.

2.0 TDI with 02Q and 0FB gearbox manual transmission 6 speed MK3 Leon.
PDF manual file D4B80284DF8

Pages 214, to 217, for info about changing gear oil in main gearbox, and torque settings for filling/draining plugs.
1) multipoint female hex plug 45 Nm (33.10 ft-Ib)
2) single female hex plug 35 Nm (25.8 ft-Ib)

Mentions that this box doesn't always have a filler level plug, if it does fill oil until it runs/trickles out of lower edge of filler hole. But if no filler plug then you'll have to completely drain gear oil to measure it.

Pages 266, to 275, is info on checking/changing oil in separate reservoir for front differential lock.

Page 315 regarding the filler plug and drain plug for the separate front differential lock, say's these plugs must be replaced as can only be used the once complete with new o-ring seal, which you have to moisten according to PDF manual.
Torque setting for filling/draining plugs is 15 Nm (11 ft-Ib) On front differential lock, which is a separate reservoir to main gearbox.

Hope this helps
Si

Woody_72

May 10, 2020
Northwest England
Cheers Si, I had a good read when I got to work and it does sound like 0FB box (I will check properly though). The oils arrived and I've ordered some tamperproof XZN sockets so if it stops raining, I can make start ?.

SEAT Rule

Nov 19, 2019
Cheers Si, I had a good read when I got to work and it does sound like 0FB box (I will check properly though). The oils arrived and I've ordered some tamperproof XZN sockets so if it stops raining, I can make start ?.

No worries ?

Si

Woody_72

May 10, 2020
Northwest England
Got the undertray off and took this. Gearbox doesn't look tilted at all and the drain and fill plugs look bog standard. I'm using Fuch Titan Sintofluid 75W. Any thought before I just crack on?

IMG_20201224_112335.jpg

Woody_72

May 10, 2020
Northwest England
Found a gearbox oil change post on Briskoda with the same gearbox and those are the drain and fill holes and 75W is the correct fluid so...

IMG_20201224_120307.jpg

'Lifetime' fill maybe, minging colour? Yep.

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
You might need to write a walkthrough for this. Be interesting to see what the results are like. I've got a 2014 184 with 105,000 and I'd be interested to see if you notice any difference/benefit etc.

Woody_72

May 10, 2020
Northwest England
I will do Brian, it's a dead easy job. I've just taken it for a razz up the bypass and it does feel slightly smoother. I find German gearboxes (this is my first) a bit notchy compared to Jap boxes but worth doing for forty quid all in.

Reactions: BillyCool
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.