Anyone got one of these ?

Retiree2013

Jun 29, 2020
One of these, is the plastic pipe which runs from the intercooler to the throttle body between the offside inner wing and engine on a 2003 Seat Toledo 1.9tdi 110 ps. Held in place by a rubber hose from the intercooler to another rubber hose attached to the throttle body. I am sure the same part is in the same engine powering the 110 ps diesel engined Leon as well.
Thanks for any help
Andy.

chriswales6

Mar 2, 2016
Hi Andy, your Toledo does indeed have the same engine as the MK1 Leon and you’re normally better off asking for advice in the Leon section. Since more people visit that area these days.

When you say a pipe from the intercooler. I’m guessing you’re talking about the charged/boost air pipes. They’re large diameter hard plastic items. TDIs don’t really have throttle bodies, most likely if it’s the pipe that goes between the timing belt cover and power steering header tank. Then it’s the EGR valve that the pipe is connected to.

You may be able to find one in a breakers, that engine was used by Seat, VW, Audi and Skoda so a pipe from any of those would do. There were around 6 different versions of 1.9 TDI around in 2003. Audi & VW stopped using the 110ps around 2001. Seat & Skoda used it until around 2005 but they also used the newer VW 1.9 TDI from 2003. You’ll need to make sure you get the right version of the pipe.

Retiree2013

Jun 29, 2020
Thanks Chris
it is indeed the plastic charge/boost Pipe from intercooler to EGR valve ( couldn’t find info so thought as it had a flap valve which operates similar to an old fashioned carb accelerator throttle someone might understand ) .Tried no end of breakers and have come up with zilch but as she’s an old girl I expect that’s why. Will try the Leon section as they seem to be happy to upgrade their intakes along with everything else. Toledo owners appear to be a lot more conservative but as I am now an older member of society I have slipped into the get me from A to B without fuss brigade. Whilst we are at it could I abandon the plastic pipe and replace with an aluminium pipe , I can fabricate things myself having had motor vehicle experience even though it was in the 1970/80s. You don’t lose the abilities just takes longer to get down to the ground and back up again.
Regards.
Andy

chriswales6

Mar 2, 2016
You're welcome Andy
The EGR valve does have what looks like a throttle butterfly flap. That's the anti shudder flap, it closes when you turn off the engine to shut off the air and stop the engine overrunning. I'm not surprised you're having difficulty finding one, since the newest cars with them are over 15 years old. It may help you to look using the engine codes (ASV Seat AHF VW), since there weren't had many Toledos sold and best to try and get one from another model.
There are a few MK4 golf breaking groups on Face Book but again it could take a while to find one. Plus given the size it'll be difficult to post. The other option is getting an after market one.

Retiree2013

Jun 29, 2020
Just in case you missed it, Aladdin Body Services of Telford Road, Bicester. Tel No. 01869 243000 carried out a plastic welding on the boost pipe, it looks really good a professional neat job. Fitted it back on yesterday and gave it an extended road test which proved to be faultless. So pleased with the result done at a reasonable cost so her nibs rolls on again.

Reactions: chriswales6

chriswales6

Mar 2, 2016
Yes did see your post, glad to hear you got it sort for a reasonable price. The age on these cars owners mainly fall into 2 groups, those who'll spend lots of money upgrading and others that try to keep them on the road for the least amount of money.

Having owned my 14 years, I'm definitely in the latter group.

Retiree2013

Jun 29, 2020
Well since the plastic welding was done on the boost pipe I have covered around 1000 miles and all is well. Pleased to have got it done without spending the earth doing so.

chriswales6

Mar 2, 2016
Glad to hear the cheap fix has held up. That's a decent amount of miles, I've done around 100 in the last 4 months. Think this tank of diesel will last me into next year.