Anyone in Norfolk area help with sub/head unit install

Benn0

Aug 18, 2010
High Wycombe
New Day new problem.

So last night we changed over the phono cables, because the ones that came in the 'Autoleads' set from Halfords were complete crap (the pins fell out, wtf?). However, we couldn't get the sub to then work, checked power etc. but nothing. We should be able to fix this, but I have a new issue.

Where do I earth? So we can't really find any suitable place in the boot, taken up the plastic casing and there isnt really anything to screw into. We also took out the boot light and there wasn't anything there. I've been advised to look for the back light earth loom? I've also been advised not to use the bolt on the seat belts, which I know alot of people on here have done.

Any pics/advice really appreciated as always.

Thanks

wenman

Red Ibiza 1.8T
Mar 28, 2009
Cheshunt
Have you checked the remote cable is still connected to the headunit?
Pull the carpet back on either side of the boot, sand a patch of the paint and earth it there :)

Benn0

Aug 18, 2010
High Wycombe
Yer we checked the remote, my mates bringing in another amp to test that (sub is active). I will get some sand paper tomorrow! Cheers again wenman!

Weedall

Ko4 = fun
Apr 5, 2011
Cheshire, UK
wherever you earth, make sure it is a good metal to metal connection with the paintwork stripped right back bare. I used the center seatbelt bolt, which i know is not advised but my car passed MOT with it like that, its a massive bolt that isnt going to come loose that goes directly into the chassis. I had to drill out my own ring terminal to make it fit but its spot on. Search youtube for videos on making a good ground.

Benn0

Aug 18, 2010
High Wycombe
Cheers Weedall, what would you use to hold the earth in place if I sandpaper down the metal?

EDIT - just had a look on youtube, seems to be consensus to drill a hole and use multiple screws to hold it in place.

Last edited:

Benn0

Aug 18, 2010
High Wycombe
Finally there, sub is installed and working like a dream. Big thanks to everyone who came back to me. I'll write up a quick guide over the weekend to help fellow newbs :)

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members