Anyone switched from a Diesel to 1.4 TSi (140)

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
Even as a MK2 owner I'll happily admit the MK3 interior is vastly better. I only got mine as I picked it up cheap through the trade, but if I could afford a MK3 I'd certainly be going for one of those instead! Even if it meant dropping down to the 1.2 TSI it would be worth it as the car is overall better.

Oh and the 1.4 TSI 140 in the Leon MK3 definitely does not have cylinder deactivation, that is currently reserved for VW and Audi only.

Last edited:

Forthewin

The interior inside the MK3 is really not far behind that of a Golf, it's the best I've ever seen in a Seat. Whereas the MK2....you could tell it was a real area where money had been saved.

bigbadjay

Jul 16, 2011
North Manchester
I sat in a toledo before a mk3, was marginally better than mk2 quality. The mk3 was marginally better than the toledo.

Its the same story of higher quality on the upper parts of the inside and worse quality on the lower.

Its not close to vw standard quality wise but still well built tho like the mk2. The cabin in the mk3 felt much roomier aswell.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

Starbucks78

Oct 7, 2009
I test drove the new golf 1.4tsi before purchasing a 1.4 Leon, and the golf did look a little classier with all that black shiny centre console plastic. But once I touched and tapped the console it really felt like cheap plastic painted glossy black. This completely killed the golf for me and de valued it. Nice to look at but not to touch.

LBB

For my next car I'm considering switching from Diesel (I currently have remapped Ibiza 130PD) to the 1.4 TSi (140).

My two concerns are...

1) Will the 1.4 TSi be quick enough, because of the difference in torque/power.
2) Will I get reasonable MPG, I currently average 50mpg to work and back and I would like to get something very similar.

Has anyone made a similar swap, if so could you let me know your thoughts?

Cheers :)
I drove the SE 1.4 TSI & FR 2.0 TDI DSG (150) back to back over the same roads. My driving style is 'progressive' & I will lean on the performance a bit. I found that the 1.4 TSI was the faster car on the road & more responsive to throttle input, even on the motorway. I simply had more confidence in the performance & handling of the petrol engined car. One two occasions I felt like I caught the diesel engine napping, just a slight hesitation (was it a whiff of turbo lag? these are the first turbo cars I've driven) but I didn't get that from the TSI.

neilmcl

Apr 18, 2004
I test drove the new golf 1.4tsi before purchasing a 1.4 Leon, and the golf did look a little classier with all that black shiny centre console plastic. But once I touched and tapped the console it really felt like cheap plastic painted glossy black. This completely killed the golf for me and de valued it. Nice to look at but not to touch.
That's the one thing I couldn't stand about the VW Golf GT, all that piano black plastic. Looked so cheap and would be a nightmare to keep looking good. The interior of the Leon looks much better imho.

Jun 15, 2013
Collected my new 1.4 TSI 140 PS in white yesterday. Its replaced a BMW 118D 143PS model I owned for 5 1/2 years. Looking at the specs and tests I had pretty much decided that the TSI was the car for me but after many years with diesels I needed to be as sure as I could be. When we arranged the test drive I ensured we could have a good drive over different roads plus I also arranged to drive the 150 PS diesel immediately after. Drove the TSI for about an hour and was so impressed that I did not even bother driving the diesel.

After about 120 miles I can say without any doubt that it does not lack any performance compared to the BMW. Loads of torque and it just keeps pulling.

Since collection the fuel confuser on the dash says 47.5 mpg. If its true that is incredible but based on previous experience those read outs normally lie. The BMW said about 50.5 mpg but I keep a check of all the fuel I buy and in truth it was about 48 mpg over the 5 1/2 years I had it.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise