Anyone with a high mileage Mark 3?

EoinM

I'm just wondering if anyone has a high-ish mileage Mark 3 and how they are finding it as the mileage rises. Any problems, dislikes, annoyances?

I have mine about 9 months and have 25k miles. I had been considering either keeping it for a few years to come rather than chop it in after a year like I usually do.

daniel575

Apr 2, 2014
I have mine 15 months and have 62k km = 38,5 k miles.

No issues at all. I'm happy with it so far. I am kind of wondering when I will be starting to run into the first issues, but I guess we'll see when the time comes.

Oh, actually I did have one minor issue: this summer, the handbrake button (and locking mechanism) suddenly broke and I had the entire handbrake replaced under warranty. Done by a Swiss dealer as I was on holiday there. No issues at all aside from that. It could be because I was used to pulling on the handbrake whilst pressing the button. The recommendation is to NOT press the button when applying the handbrake, only use it to release. But even then, that shouldn't have caused it to break like it did.

chrishale

May 31, 2010
Manchester, UK
Oh, actually I did have one minor issue: this summer, the handbrake button (and locking mechanism) suddenly broke and I had the entire handbrake replaced under warranty. Done by a Swiss dealer as I was on holiday there. No issues at all aside from that. It could be because I was used to pulling on the handbrake whilst pressing the button. The recommendation is to NOT press the button when applying the handbrake, only use it to release. But even then, that shouldn't have caused it to break like it did.

Sorry to hijack the post ;) - could I ask why it's recommended not to use the button when putting the hand brake on? I've always pressed the button as well. Probably just because I was told to as a learner driver.

daniel575

Apr 2, 2014
Lots and lots and LOTS of discussions about that online. Google "push button when applying handbrake". I discussed it with the dealer's service manager as well. His recommendation was not to press the button when applying. That's how I do it since then.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
I always press the button, as I was taught that, every car I have had and never had a button problem. The thinking behind it was the ratchet mechanism wore out early, don't know if it still stands as I'm sure in the current car's manual it just says to pull up the handbrake without mentioning button.

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
I currently have an issue with a sticky handbrake. Been to the dealers twice already going for a third go tomorrow. Dealer trying in both senses. First said normal then agreed not and then couldn't find what was wrong and lubricated it. I think it's the cable as you can see/feel it juddering when you release the brake. After having said can't go any more they are going to try replacing parts until it's sorted

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
I think the reasoning behind NOT using the button when applying the handbrake is that as a rule of thumb there should be no more than 3 clicks when applying. This should be sufficient to hold the car without stretching the cable.

weirdkerr

Nov 24, 2013
Morayshire
Had my car(First reg May 2013 )since late November 2013 bought with 14,800 miles now has 38,500 miles, one minor problem a loose wire going to the driver door mirror which was solved within a week of collection

tony323ci

Lovin' it
May 15, 2011
Nottingham
Not been on here for a while got my 2013 FR184 when six months old with 3000 miles on the clock car is now 3 years old and has 73000 miles no issues at all first MOT yesterday all passed just has a very slight sticking rear brake calliper that I need to have a look at. MOT tester said it probably just wants a bit of lubrication still love the car and every mile has been an absolute pleasure

james_iow

Aug 16, 2016
I have a now 2 year old Leon SE Tech and after 10k about and 14 months the front led headlight failed!!!! Dealer fixed it in about 4 days.... Fine since but the cost of them is £750 plus vat and there time. Luckily all fixed under warranty

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members