Arl rough start up

Jpfr+

Jun 27, 2020
My leon cupra 150 has had an ongoing problem after starting in the mornings. When its parked overnight on my sloped driveway overnight, when I 1st start the car its seems to run very sluggish for 20 odd seconds, and when I try and reverse it off my drive it usually stalls. I have scanned with my vcds and its not showing any codes.
Car has done 138k with a very indepth service history all genuine stuff used throughout its life. I might add that I have plugged the egr pipe and have done this on all of my previous vw diesels
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Jpfr+

Jun 27, 2020
Should of added that the car always fires straight up, even when I give it no glowplug heat time

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
I've got the FR 150 and while I generally park on the flat, the only time I've ever stalled pulling away has been when the car was parked on a steep hill facing upwards. I remember it clearly because it was so out of the ordinary. Hearing what's happened with yours, it's making me think that the hill/slope part is definitely the culprit.

What could be the cause? The only thing that comes to mind would be if the fuel pump isn't quite as effective on a cold start as it should be, especially if it's fighting against gravity. Mine's the original pump and it has 166k on it, as well as being fifteen years old, so that could be something.

Does it work OK after the initial stall?

chriswales6

Mar 2, 2016
Does sound fuel pressure related, seem to remember the PDs may have 2 fuel pumps? Could also try changing the fuel filter.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Mines done 217k on same pump don’t have any issues with start up on hills or flat only thing I have changed is the rely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Relay is something I came across a couple of times while I was researching - and it's a lot cheaper than a new fuel pump.

Jpfr+

Jun 27, 2020
I'll have a butchers around the pump the weekend. Noticed this evening that my both average mpgs are around 35! Car doesn't chuck out any more smoke than an other diesel while booting it which seems strange. Surely even with my spirited driving now and again it should be higher than that. I'm leaving towards cts now so will check that out also

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
That does sound low - if I'm driving around town in stop start traffic, I'll get around that much, but on a-roads I often get upwards of 52mpg.

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Maybe check that the actuator arm on the turbo is moving freely and to its extremes of travel?

Just a guess but worth a look.

Reactions: iammooks

Jpfr+

Jun 27, 2020
Thanks guys hopefully have a good look round it the weekend if weathers okay. Down to 32mpg now

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise