arosa is dead again =(

Daleboy

Hey all was just after some advise .. Went to start my mk2 arosa on saterday and she wouldant start like there was a flat battery, so jumpstarted and the battery light started flashing. Wen I got to the shop I tried starting again and wouldant start again but the lights still worked as did all other electronics. Took her to the garage and they replaced the battery and the alternator.
Went to leave work tonight and battery light started flashing again! Got home tried starting again and dead again =( but like last time all electronics working! So I did a Google search and all solutions said alternator or battery =/ so im a bit stuck =(

Also I have checked battery connections.

If anyone has any ideas in what it could be, I would appreciate any input..
I love my arosa and really want her back on the road soon =[

Thanks alot
Dale

mahne

Aug 13, 2011
Sounds like alternator problem, or regulator on the back of it. Did the garage really change it for the right one? It's not unheard of for alternators to be changed for the wrong one.
Take it back to the garage and get them to check it out again - their work should be warranted.

Daleboy

Cheers for that I've checked out the code on the alternator and it matches up to the code on the alternator in my friends arosa.
Booked in this afternoon at the local garage who changed the alternator and battery I'll let u guys know how the wee one gets on.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Doesn't sound like an alternator problem to me if it's got a new one and when it fails to start all the other stuff works. Could be the starter motor. They get contaminated with rain and road dirt and the motor brushes/springs get stuck. if this is the case a short sharp tap with a hammer can free them up for a short term. If that works them remove the starter, take it apart, clean it all out, spray with WD40 and reffit it.

Does it push start OK if it won't turn over on the key?

Daleboy

Cheers for the replys guys =) spoke to the garage this afternoon after having a stroppy talk yesterday and they have cleaned all the connections, checked all the cables and the wee 'rosa lives again .. Possably a loose/ dirty connection ill let u lot know how it gets on and if it is genuinely working properly cheers again guys

Cheers
Dale

TDI_luver

Jul 11, 2006
Ireland
I've got the exact same problem on my 99 1.0 arosa. Cant turn over the engine when warm - like a flat battery, but even when jumped from another battery still wont start, so its not bad battery, must be dud starter motor - will have pull start it with a rope and bring to garage. will let you know how i get on.

Daleboy

Sorry to hear that.. sounds familiar, well my car did turn out to be a loose connection and I diddnt really think about it at the time but it was probably something to do with me completely snapping my rear axle in an accident a few months back (prob made the connection loose or something) well she is going fine once more =) and good luck to you mate

mahne

Aug 13, 2011
I've got the exact same problem on my 99 1.0 arosa. Cant turn over the engine when warm - like a flat battery, but even when jumped from another battery still wont start, so its not bad battery, must be dud starter motor - will have pull start it with a rope and bring to garage. will let you know how i get on.
Possibly a dud solenoid on the starter motor not engaging when warm? Does it bump start OK when warm?

TDI_luver

Jul 11, 2006
Ireland
Possibly a dud solenoid on the starter motor not engaging when warm? Does it bump start OK when warm?

problem now solved - starter motor had died and fried itself by fusing what remained of the brushes to the commutator.

New starter motor had her turning over like a new car, fires in a split second and off she goes...

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members