At Risk of Redundancy

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
I work 6-4 2 weeks a month and 10-6 2 weeks a month , the 2 weeks I do 6-4 I'm on call for , I can average a 50 hour week and have 15 days sick leave in the last 14 years .....you could say I am always available and fairly reliable :)

Shitforbrains on the other hand starts at 9 and finishes at 5 and wouldn't know what a 27 hour shift would look like if he fell over it.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Experience and reliability counts

Exactly. Reminds me of this one graduate. We were really under pressure and we had about 2 hours to get a software update up and out the door. "We can do this" I assured him. Firmly believing if we keep calm and focused we could do it. I started coding away. He appeared behind me holding a duster and proceeded to clean the screen I was working on. Confused, I stopped. And watched him continue to dust the entire office. It was bizarre. But after a couple of minutes I realised, he just couldn't handle the pressure and had effectively snapped. So I continued and got it done alone with about 15 mins to spare.

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
Exactly. Reminds me of this one graduate. We were really under pressure and we had about 2 hours to get a software update up and out the door. "We can do this" I assured him. Firmly believing if we keep calm and focused we could do it. I started coding away. He appeared behind me holding a duster and proceeded to clean the screen I was working on. Confused, I stopped. And watched him continue to dust the entire office. It was bizarre. But after a couple of minutes I realised, he just couldn't handle the pressure and had effectively snapped. So I continued and got it done alone with about 15 mins to spare.

My point exactly. Professionalism, Experience, Determination and Wanting it done correctly, all calm and in control. A lot (not all) Young uns tend to lack that

BadBoy03

A Mk1 Is For Life, Not Just For Fun
Sep 6, 2016
Somerset
I'm sorry to hear about your job situation. It really is the worst feeling & you are trapped between a rock & a hard place. I think the uncertainty increases the anxiety and you can't live without worrying about the next month. I hope something comes up or you get to keep your job.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
New job found, notice served , start new job Monday 26th. - A happier chappy :)

That's great news... must be a weight off your mind. Really pleased for you. Doing something different or more of the same?

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Happy days! I'm happy for you!

How big a smile was it handing in your notice?

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
Doing more of the same but less hours, no on call and no overtime ......gives me time to play with the LCR :)

Handing in notice = priceless, feeling of euphoria = like drugs but no after effects !!

No more plowing up and down the A12 too, which is no bad thing = less miles on the LCR

Thanks folks :)

Deleted member 103408

Well done, we are all very pleased for you and you have also helped others who will get the nod to leave now and or not get made redundant as you have helped reduce the numbers.

But the downside is you now have no excuse but to get on with the car :) keep us all posted on progress.

Sharpy

This place has cost me a fortune....
Oct 2, 2018
Been there done that, at my current place I have been there 11years now and put at risk 9 times. I've survived everytime and just moved to a new job within the business that I like, however with a new CEO at the top the general consensus is that is about to start again. I've kinda become immune to it in the sense that whatever will be will be.

Its a tough one and I understand the rant. If you decide to stay for the redundancy then just accept that they are still paying you and thats a good thing, despite the lack of interest and development, i guess its easy money in that respect, however dont turn down something else if it comes up and you are interested, by brother in law was the same he was waiting to be made redundant it dragged and dragged, he eventually left and feel greatly liberated despite being financially worse off.

Deleted member 103408

I am afraid its part of the so called modern world.

I watched the IT Teams move from the US to UK, Then to Northern Ireland, Then Out to India and before I retired it was all going to Brazil (cheap and in US Time Zone). Oddly every move was to save money but never did and lots of jobs came back over time as new management found the errors of the old management (who had moved on to do the same at the next company).

Feel for you but dont let it get in the way of life just keep putting you CV out there and see what comes back.

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
what happened?
So new job is with a "water company" as a Network & Telecoms Engineer, unfortunately (this will only make sense to those in the industry) there are no maintenance contracts for any of the switches, there is a mixture of Nortel/Bay, Dell & Cisco, the Nortel/Bay switches are between 8-12 years old, the Dell's maybe 5 and likewise the Cisco's, they have never been upgraded and cannot be upgraded as no support contracts either hard or software. They crash regularly. Being a privatized industry its all about profit and not investment , there is a systemic and endemic lack of investment, and a deep seated reversion to maintaining the infrustructure. I cannot work like this, they are lying to OFWAT, DWI and the public , its just a farce and one they want to promote.

kanyewest

Oct 4, 2018
NW
So new job is with a "water company" as a Network & Telecoms Engineer, unfortunately (this will only make sense to those in the industry) there are no maintenance contracts for any of the switches, there is a mixture of Nortel/Bay, Dell & Cisco, the Nortel/Bay switches are between 8-12 years old, the Dell's maybe 5 and likewise the Cisco's, they have never been upgraded and cannot be upgraded as no support contracts either hard or software. They crash regularly. Being a privatized industry its all about profit and not investment , there is a systemic and endemic lack of investment, and a deep seated reversion to maintaining the infrustructure. I cannot work like this, they are lying to OFWAT, DWI and the public , its just a farce and one they want to promote.
sorry to hear that man. have you dropped the job or aer you still working while you look for other work?

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
Still there while looking , going to try and get back into the financial services sector I think - Still need a job to pay for all the silicon sealant I need to stop the LCR leaking !!

Reactions: BadBoy03

BadBoy03

A Mk1 Is For Life, Not Just For Fun
Sep 6, 2016
Somerset
Sorry to hear about your job. It's a tough year, & its stressful. Good luck with the job hunt, hope it works out in the end.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Sorry to hear about your job situation, I have been lucky with my job with Scottish Water (a great place to work) been there over 40 years now, if you count my time with Lothian Regional Council Drainage Dept, that turned into East of Scotland Water, before becoming Scottish Water. We have had loads of reshuffles, early retirements etc, but no forced redundancies. I will be going soon anyway as I need to pack it all in and enjoy more time in the car or on the bike. Hope you find your dream job soon, but as the Oldboy said not many jobs last these days and constantly moving on seems to be the way now,so best of luck for your future.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.