Auto headlights need an eye test!

HotHatchSteve

Jul 6, 2009
Don't they use the sun sensor has well, so that when the sun is low in the sky, like at winter time, this also effects when they come on.

m4rtin

Dec 6, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
Sorry to resurrect an such an old post, I found this while searching for information regarding the sensitivity of auto lights on my new Leon.

I've never had auto lights before until getting this car (about 2 months ago) and I noticed that they seem to be on quite often, but wondered if it was just me.

So I decided to compare my auto lights with other VAG cars (friends, colleagues & other cars which I've been following or have been following me) and my lights do stay on a lot more - sometimes they are even on when it is sunny.

Two comparisons...
1) At work I park under the building so when I start the car the auto lights correctly turn on, but the other day I was being followed out of the car park by a friend from work in his VW Passat CC. We both drove out and after approx 15 seconds this lights turned off, mine stayed on for at least 5 minutes.

2) This morning when I got in the car the lights turned on. About 10 minutes into my journey as I drove through an area with trees I spotted lights of the Audi A4 behind me turn on and then turn off shortly after the trees finished, exactly as I would expect. My lights stayed on for the whole journey to work.

Anyway, I wondered if anyone has ever managed to resolve the issue of sensitivity? I was thinking of asking the dealer but thought this would probably be a better place to ask. :)

m4rtin

Dec 6, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
Thanks for the info Graham!

Strange that Leon's seem to be so sensitive, you would expect that all VAG cars would be set the same.

Now it's either a trip to a dealer or someone with VCDS.

Did you have yours adjusted to be less sensitive? If so did it resolve the issue of them being on all the time?

GrahamFR

Now AMG Powered
Dec 10, 2008
Barnsley or Burton
Yeah I had mine reduced and it fixed it instantly it's much better. I did it myself but if you don't have vcdsit should only take a decent garage 5mins to change

m4rtin

Dec 6, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
Cool , well at least I know the issue can be resolved now.

Before I ask someone to adjust it, is the sensitivity setting on a scale i.e. 1 - 10? If so what would you recommend it being altered to? (sorry to ask so many questions).

Last edited:

GrahamFR

Now AMG Powered
Dec 10, 2008
Barnsley or Burton
Cool , well at least I know the issue can be resolved now.

Before I ask someone to adjust it, is the sensitivity setting on a scale i.e. 1 - 10? If so what would you recommend it being altered to? (sorry to ask so many questions).

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/vcds-formerly-vag-com-forum/178460-auto-lights-sensitivity-8p3.html

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/VW_Golf_(1K)_Rain/Light_Sensor

reading these two in conjunction should give you an idea but basically the correction percentage needs to be lower, and its not as easy as 1 - 10 unfortunately.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/vcds-formerly-vag-com-forum/178460-auto-lights-sensitivity-8p3.html

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/VW_Golf_(1K)_Rain/Light_Sensor

reading these two in conjunction should give you an idea but basically the correction percentage needs to be lower, and its not as easy as 1 - 10 unfortunately.

My auto xenons are on almost all the time too.

Ok so I'm quite handy with hex and I have VCDS. Where do I find the control module to adapt the values? I've looked everywhere and can't find anything that resembles light sensor or transparency.

m4rtin

Dec 6, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire

Ok so I'm quite handy with hex and I have VCDS. Where do I find the control module to adapt the values? I've looked everywhere and can't find anything that resembles light sensor or transparency.

Keep us posted how you get on Nath ;)

GrahamFR

Now AMG Powered
Dec 10, 2008
Barnsley or Burton

Nath, what version of VCDS have you got? On the older ones its not easy to find as its not an option. This is the same as mine but you can get round it.

Just follow the guide as normal an go into long coding on Central Elec and select REGENLICHTSENSORH04 or something that sounds like Rain and Light in germanand then click in the middle byte (1) which is 30 in the example, and if memory serves you may have several tick boxes or not but basically the goal is to get that middle number lower than what it is now, and it might be a case of trial and error

AndyG_TSi

Nov 1, 2011
East Manchester
Yep, the auto lights are a pain. They have a mind of their own and would probably come on if you lived on the sun :lol:

Driving along on a sunny day, pass under a bit of shade or a cloud passes in the sky and....bing..hey presto..lights on

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members