Auto lights sometimes not switching off

DuckPit

Jul 2, 2021
Anyone else with auto lights find sometimes they don't switch off? I've had it a few times now auto lights stayed on even after 15mins in direct light, the Sat nav seems to think it's day time based on the screen color . When it happens if I press the auto light button to off if it thinks you need lights on it tells you on screen, in my case when the lights stuck on if I turn it to manual lights there is no warning to turn on. The only way I can seem to correct it is switch on and off the settings for 'auto lights to turn on when rain' . When it was stuck on today it wasn't raining not even wet on screen. I know the rain sensor is a bit sh#t in vag cars it was same in my previous Audi.

This car is getting bloody annoying now, everytime I get in it I think what's not going to work today.

Cheers

Mirador

Nov 25, 2021
West Sussex
I find this really frustrating. My lights stay on when it's really bright some days. So annoying that there is no way to switch the lights off permanently like previous models. Continuous pressing of the auto button tomturn them off is pointless as after a while the lights just come on again.
I've got rain sensor off as it was even worse then. Not sure the headlight early and late settings do anything for this either.

Deleted member 123864

What does it really matter at the end of the day? Having your lights on is a good thing... Some people get frustrated over the most minor of things these days.

DuckPit

Jul 2, 2021
What does it really matter at the end of the day? Having your lights on is a good thing... Some people get frustrated over the most minor of things these days.
I just expect things to work but that seems to be an alien concept with Leon's, driving my misses Peugeot seems like a luxury these days vs the Cupra as in the Peugeot everything works. My Cupra is by far the worst VAG car I've ever owned so many bugs with the car from Infotainment, dodgy peeling paint, dodgy brake servo, rear light internal flashing, rear camera not work alot of time, so glad I leased it not bought, even with 300bhp on tap is not enough for me to over look at this issues, it's just become a bag a shti and the dealer is a pita to get to and from.

Reactions: Mirador

Tell

Staff member
Anyone else with auto lights find sometimes they don't switch off? I've had it a few times now auto lights stayed on even after 15mins in direct light, the Sat nav seems to think it's day time based on the screen color . When it happens if I press the auto light button to off if it thinks you need lights on it tells you on screen, in my case when the lights stuck on if I turn it to manual lights there is no warning to turn on. The only way I can seem to correct it is switch on and off the settings for 'auto lights to turn on when rain' . When it was stuck on today it wasn't raining not even wet on screen. I know the rain sensor is a bit sh#t in vag cars it was same in my previous Audi.

This car is getting bloody annoying now, everytime I get in it I think what's not going to work today.

Cheers
You haven't got a setting for the lights coming on "late" as per pre 2020 models. Some countries like their lights to come on "early" as it gets dark. I find "late" better on these cars.

Use to be found under

CAR > Vehicle Settings > Lights

and you would toggle the auto setting to late.

Needs a good look in the equivalent menu to tune up the auto switching. Late if you find it, feels what you want. This was a bit of a fault with the pre 2020- models with auto lighting.

dan555

Sep 29, 2020
Car Settings > Exterior > Light > Automatic Headlight Control

Choice of:
Early
Medium
Late

Attachments

• IMG_20211213_175612.jpg
    IMG_20211213_175612.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 164
Reactions: Tell

DuckPit

Jul 2, 2021
Thanks yeah it set to late but still happens, can only switch it off by flipping the setting for auto lights in rain from off to on and back to off, I leave it in off all time though. I think it may be the rain or light sensor and condensation as I also have the issue with the rear passenger interior light flashing which people have said is due to condensation. Had Audi before this car autolights fine on that.

Tell

Staff member
Thanks yeah it set to late but still happens, can only switch it off by flipping the setting for auto lights in rain from off to on and back to off, I leave it in off all time though. I think it may be the rain or light sensor and condensation as I also have the issue with the rear passenger interior light flashing which people have said is due to condensation. Had Audi before this car autolights fine on that.
There is a rain setting on lights as well so I've read.... something not on pre 2020 models....

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
When it 'rains' i.e. the wipers go on full for a few seconds then the lights will stay on for an age afterwards, but this is another option in settings you can select.

On the available settings then I've found that the early vs late makes no difference I can see, my Leon always has it's lights on a good hour before the street lights turn on.

Tell

Staff member
When it 'rains' i.e. the wipers go on full for a few seconds then the lights will stay on for an age afterwards, but this is another option in settings you can select.

On the available settings then I've found that the early vs late makes no difference I can see, my Leon always has it's lights on a good hour before the street lights turn on.
That rain "setting" is the one I saw people talking about. Can that be turned off to stop the issue.

On the Obdeleven board definite talk of configuration

Might be that circuit which is leading to the lights coming on if not the early / late setting.... dampness in the sensor as posted up above might be duping this to activate. Is there a turn off on that sensor. Hobson's choice may be.

On the pre 2020s yes your best option on early / late was late else you drove around with your lights on quite a bit. Late works well on pre 2020 Ateca's / Arona's pass on the rest. Works well.

Best bet for those frustrated is lights, late on and rain sensor lights off... those technical look into the "cool down" whether that's a setting referred into the link above. Cool down seems to be the one bugging people.

One for people with the car into coding whether there is a way of adjusting the cool down ?. Have they all got this long cool down once triggered or is that a fault specific to the car.

The rain sensor... the watering can moment and stop watch to see how common the issue is 😉. Repeat n'th many times.

This end post for those into coding provides some parameters to check against the car:

30 second parameter in there against rain late whatever that does... other than that it's a programming bug they rolled out of not handling the parameters correctly if it's a common issue 🙄. If not common then it's a fault on the car.

Mirador

Nov 25, 2021
West Sussex
It matters to me. I like and expect things to work as intended. Previous cars I've owned with auto lights have worked as one would expect them to work. On several VW Golf cars I've owned they have worked just fine.
I'd expect them to work now, with 12 years of design and technology improvements since first having them.

Deleted member 123864

It matters to me. I like and expect things to work as intended. Previous cars I've owned with auto lights have worked as one would expect them to work. On several VW Golf cars I've owned they have worked just fine.
I'd expect them to work now, with 12 years of design and technology improvements since first having them.
Maybe they are working as intended, which could be entirely different to how you intend them to work?

Mirador

Nov 25, 2021
West Sussex
Maybe they are working as intended, which could be entirely different to how you intend them to work?
No, they are not. Unless on a sunny morning at midday they are meant to be on. There's no pattern to it either. Often randomly coming on some days and not others.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I think the location of the light sensor - and the direction it faces relative to any bright light sources (e.g. the sun) - might be a factor in the auto lights function being activated at what appears to be too soon - or not switched off.

I remember reading on a Golf forum that a member said even in bright lighting conditions, if the light sensor was facing away from any light source, then the lights could switch on. They cited an example of a bright sunny evening when the auto lights function turned their headlights on sooner than expected. In their situation, the direction they were travelling meant the light sensor was facing away from the sun, and the lights stayed on.

Torque69

Sep 18, 2021
South Birmingham
The good old days with a rotary switch to cycle through side and headlights was so simple!

Can't remember the last time I actually had to manually activate headlights....., late 90's probably.

We do take all the auto activation functionality a given these days, so rightfully we get annoyed when they don't operate as we expect.

Cars too tech these days, like driving a laptop...

DuckPit

Jul 2, 2021
My misses has a new Peugeot it has all the same features as my Cupra Leon autolights, voice control etc and this tech in the Peugeot works 100 x better than in my Cupra Leon, VAG group should be embarrassed tbh at how crap and lagy the Infotainment is and the other tech, put me off VAG cars now.

Tell

Staff member
I think the location of the light sensor - and the direction it faces relative to any bright light sources (e.g. the sun) - might be a factor in the auto lights function being activated at what appears to be too soon - or not switched off.

I remember reading on a Golf forum that a member said even in bright lighting conditions, if the light sensor was facing away from any light source, then the lights could switch on. They cited an example of a bright sunny evening when the auto lights function turned their headlights on sooner than expected. In their situation, the direction they were travelling meant the light sensor was facing away from the sun, and the lights stayed on.
Why I reckon the late is the best setting. European cars have a tendency to drive around fully illuminated. Germans like it like that. So if anything like other Seat, setting to late is useful.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
My misses has a new Peugeot it has all the same features as my Cupra Leon autolights, voice control etc and this tech in the Peugeot works 100 x better than in my Cupra Leon, VAG group should be embarrassed tbh at how crap and lagy the Infotainment is and the other tech, put me off VAG cars now.
Didn’t VAG develop the software for the current Leon - and other current models that share the MQB platform - ‘in-house’ from scratch, whereas I‘d read that previously they’d contacted this work out? If so, then I bet they’re regretting that decision big time. It must have cost a small fortune 🤔.